• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Luggage Rack

cindy in indy

Freshman Member
i hope so. i am the one selling it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I bought it for my Midget before I realized it was for a MGB. Can you send me the dimensions of the holes in your trunk and I can try to see if they line up? cindy

A

aerog

I don't think that rack was out in the 60s - I thought it was a mid-70s item that was added by the dealers.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think that rack was out in the 60s - I thought it was a mid-70s item that was added by the dealers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would tend to agree......the racks that I remember seeing on sixties cars were more tubular, chromed items. Not saying that this won't fit the holes the holes, but I think that this later luggage rack is a little wider and lower than the earlier ones.

OP
W

Wilks

left to right from mid bolt to mid bolt it is 24" and top to bottom mid bolt to mid bolt it is 17". Yes the one I have on is tubular. Another thing I have questions on is the fact that mine is held on by 1 bolt at each corner and it looks like yours is two, but if it will cover up the holes I'll be absolutely fine with that.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I just went and measured my luggage rack.....mine is the same as the one that you are looking at. It is 30" wide from the centre of the mounting from side to side, and 15" top to bottom. Whilst the brackets may just cover a couple of the holes, there is no way on earth that they will hide the other two. And, yes, there are two holes for each mounting on mine. Whilst it will fit any MGB deck lid, if you already have holes from an original rack it's just not going to work.

OP
W

Wilks

ok thanks. So if I buy a used trunk lid I can paint it and mount a rack on it? Are all the lids interchangeable?

90 XJ-S

Jedi Trainee
Cindy,

You got to love this guy Wilks, looks like he is trying real hard to buy your rack!

Wilks,
they are all the same size and shape, but at some point the weather stripping attachment was changed.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Hang on a second.

Just checked my VB catalog. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Looks like '62 - '76 were the same with the seal on the lid and '76 - 80 had the seal on the body. 401000 was the last body number with the seal on the lid.

Mike

A

aerog

as was said - there's no way the two will line up. The kind Cindy has for sale uses two plastic standoffs with a ball-joint in the end that mates to a ball-on-a-post mounted on each corner of the rack (pointing out to the sides). The chrome "feet" hold the plastic stand-offs in place, and are in turn bolted to the trunk with two large sheet metal screws on the top of bottom of each "foot" (ie: the holes are vertical). I use stainless machine screws with rubber-backed sealing washers and wing nuts on mine.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Scott, that is a good idea.......mine is held in place with the same sheet-metal screws that the dealer put in when he installed the rack. I have never used the luggage rack in nearly four years of ownership.......wouldn't miss it.