• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Luggage Rack

abarth69

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Who sells the best rack for a 1961 3000?

Where in the world do you put the soft top and side screens?

Cheers

Mark

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
HI Mark, I do not think there is a best selle for these units. All you can do is hunt for the best price. OTOH, there are two type racks available: 1] attaches to the boot lid hinges via the pins utilises support legs that rest on the rear bumper and pivots with the boot lid when opened or closed. This model is the strongest IMO. The second type bolts directly to the boot lid which limits the amount of load it can handle. There is another version of this latter one which uses metal straps across the boot lid for its support. I have one of each of the first two installed on my cars and prefer the first one for all around carrying.--Fwiw--Keoke

Richard3000

If it's a four seater then with some judicious folding the soft top can live behind the rear seat back. My sidescreens are carried on the back seat or standing up behind the front seats or in the boot, only on long journeys or if it looks like rain. Luggage carrying capacity was obviously not a high priority in those days!!

Richard

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior
I bought my luggage rack from Cape Sport Intl. Go here:
https://tinyurl.com/3xppmr This rack is very high quality. It utilizes the boot lid hinges and straps to the lower lip of the boot lid. It is totally reversible and will not damage your car. It also looks way better than the original type that bolts to the bumpers.
Randy
'66 BJ8

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Randy, The original type rack supports do not bolt to the bumpers. The load bearing supports simply rest on the bumper which IMOP makes it far stronger than the other two.--Keoke

OP
abarth69

abarth69

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
So to keep the wife happy we got a luggage rack.One of those that rest on the rear bumper.Before I send this thing packing on the next boat back to China. How in the world does it fit? It sit four miles high in the air the little straps that go to the trunk lid are below the level of the bumper. I thought I would have it rest on a bracket attached to the bumper, however when opening the truck, I can't get the arms of the luggage rack past the bumperettes.
Anyone with any pictures please email me at

mark@abarth.ca

Going out to the garage to drink beer and wax`the boat

cheers
Mark

1michael

Freshman Member
I bought the same rack, and found the same problem. The position of the leg mounting bracket causes the bracket and or leg to hit the bumperette. (It's sort of a pile, and not the greatest of design) I'm working on a modification for the bracket. The new bracket is shorter and the leg now rests on a base attached to the bumper bracket. (Insted of the bumper)So far, so good. And doesn't look too bad. I'll work on posting a picture.

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
On Randy's recommendation, I purchased the Cape International rack. I love it! Not cheap but as with most things in this world - you get what you pay for. Personally, I like the low profile of this rack and the way it mounts on the car. I second Randy's opinion on this particular matter.
Lin
1960 BT7 in restoration
1959 Bugeye

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior
Re: Cape Intl. Healey luggage rack:
If you want to see how this rack looks mounted, go here: https://tinyurl.com/yolvjm
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and there are a few pics of my car with closeups of the rack.
Best,
Randy

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Mark. I do not understand why the supports on your rack foul the over riders, since the support legs are to be positioned out board of each over rider when resting on the bumper. OTOH,if the angle of the rack is too high in the back this can be adjusted by cutting the support legs with a tubing cutter until you obtain your desired position.--Fwiw--Keoke

gents, ive had a lugg. rack for three years now but havnt had time to install it, is it possible for someone to post a picture or two of the ones they have? if i recall correctly mine is the one that goes down to the bumper brackets, this my brand new computer just hooked up a few minutes ago requires installation of some software for me to post picts. and i will do so tonight and post what i have. thanks a7777

OP
abarth69

abarth69

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
First of thanks to Bighly for some great pictures. Anthony7777 atlumber51@I gave you the same set of pictures that should help you.

So you have to bend the bracket to almost around the corners of the trunk lid.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

With the windshield smashed and a luggage rack giving me problems I almost thought it would be better to work on my Abarth after 27 years of just sitting.

Cheers
Mark

abarth69, thanks they picts are good stuff, mine is the same, i just tried to load up some picts. but they are to big too transmit will have to reconfigure.

bighly

Jedi Knight
abarth69 said:
So you have to bend the bracket to almost around the corners of the trunk lid.
Cheers
Mark

Mark,

Yes. To do this I used a hose clamp and a large diameter pipe. I tightened the bracket against the pipe until I had the arc sufficient to follow the trunk corners. I then used a piece of large clear heat shrink tubing to cover the bracket wher it mates to the trunk corners.

Here is a link to the photos.
Rack and Turd

Sorry about the bird turn in the photos. This rack seems to be able to support an enormous amount of weight. The limitation is the height of the load as it will block the rear view. Thus the cutting down on the support legs.

Hope this helps.