• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Lucas Sport coil / Pertronix ignitor

Deadeye

Sorry to bother y’all. I see that some of this subject is elsewhere in the forums but I couldn’t come to a conclusion after reading it so I had to bring this up again. The 72B I just bought has a Lucas Sport coil (DLB 105) and Pertronix ignitor. I want to install new plugs and put on a fresh set of wires. Do the plug gaps change, and will Bosch wires suffice as a result of this setup? Any other things I ought to be aware of?
Thanks,
Deadeye

Steve F

Freshman Member
No question is a bother.

You should be able to increase your gap. I'm running at 35 with no problems. You may have to experiment a bit to get the best performance.

Your plug wires should do fine. I've read that Lucas Sports Coil and Pertronix don't like to play nice with each other, but I've also read that people have ran that setup with nary the problem. I installed a Flame Thrower (pertronix brand coil) and have been happy.

Gary Lloyd

Jedi Knight
I've read that too, but I have also hear of people with lots of miles on them!! Petronix does say that it works with any coil!! That is what I have, 5000 miles and no problems!! (with the ignition
grin.gif
) In fact it runs like a top!!!

Bret

Yoda
iagree.gif

I've been running the Pertronix Ignitor along with the Flame Thrower too and haven’t had any real problems in my 78B. As for mixing the Ignitor with eh Lucas sports coil – your guess is as good as mine. But if your plug wires are in good condition you’ll probably be fine.

However with regards to the plug gap there is some debate on this. I personally set my at about 35 and again haven’t seen any problems.

Good luck!
cheers.gif

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Pertronix recommends a 1.5 Ohms (or better) coil. You can attach an ohmmeter across the plus and minus terminals of you coil to see if it has at least 1.5 ohms.
I've seen lots of folks running the Lucas Sport Coil and Pertronix combo....seems to work.
Personally, I'm running an over-the-counter (Standard brand) auto parts coil and ballast resistor, which gives about 2.0 ohms. My plug gap is 0.035" . My wires are solid core copper, but decent resistor wires (like Bosch) should be fine. I'm running pretty rich carburation with an accelerator pump (it's a race car).....with the old points-type ignition, I had a lot of plug-fouling and misfire at idle and midrange. The Pertronix solved that problem.

Gary Lloyd

Jedi Knight
I believe that Octagon in Vancouver installs them together all the time!! (lucas Sport coil and Petronix) I also know that Tom Bedenbaugh says that he has had problems with them. If I did not already have a new sport coil, I would not have done it!! Tom Warren says he has over 15,000 miles on the Lucas sport coil and Petronix setup. I will let you guys know if mine goes!! Until then I will just keep on driving it!!
driving.gif
cheers.gif

Tom Bedenbaugh

Jedi Hopeful
Guys, I don't know. Too many people are using them without any problem with the sports coil. I did have problems with the combination a few years ago. I thought it was the pertronix that was the problem. When I was talking to a VW shop about it he told me I needed to use their coil. So I did and haven't had any trouble since. I do like the set up though. I have it in both my cars. The beauty of it is you can turn 7K and the spark is still consistant. No point bounce.

Frazier

Guys, I was running the Pertronix and Lucas Sport coil all last summer with no problems. Again, this is a weekend warrior not a daily driver. Then this spring I added the MSD 6 multiple spark discharge to the mix, with good results, mid and high end response. After about 1000 miles I burned a pinhole in the rotor. Tony Barnhill responded with the news that the coil was responsible, so I returned to an over the counter coil, replaced the rotor,and was back in the game. I was more than 40 on the plug gap and also brought that back to 35.

Gary Lloyd

Jedi Knight
I think that Tom is probabbly right!! Use their coil for best results. Like I said, I just used the Lucas Sport Coil because they do at Octagon and I had it and I am cheap!!!! I hate putting good parts on the shelf!! As Tom says, you will never have a problem because of rpm!! Great set-up!!

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
the voltage that a coil puts out, up to the coil's limit, is determined by the width of the spark gap that it has to jump. Eg. a .025 gap may require 20,000 volts from the coil to jump the gap. A .035 gap may require 35,000 volts from the coil. A coil rated at 40 kv will still only put out the required 20 kv with the .025 gap.

Some caps,or wires, or rotors don't have enough insulation to hold the higher voltage created by the wider gap & break down.
D