• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Lotus Elise Import

MichelVaillant

Freshman Member
Country flag
Howdy,
I just moved to NAshville/TN from Germany. I still have my 1998 Lotus Elise S1 there, but would like to haul it over the pond. I just cannot live without it...
But here is the problem: It is obviously impossible to get it through customs, and even more impossible to get it registered. Does anyone here have experience in importing cars?
I need my daily Lotus fix!!!!!!! :cryin:

Have a good one,
Michael

[img:center]https://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=132649013&albumID=703343&imageID=558698[/img]

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Ah... I shoulda "read ahead". :wink:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Hi Michel! Welcome to the forum. Why is it imposable to get the car through customs? Seem there must be a solution to your dilemma.

OP
MichelVaillant

MichelVaillant

Freshman Member
Country flag
Paul,
the Elise S1 was never imported to the USA. And there is a list on the government website of all cars that can be imported, and the Elise is on some kind of a "red list", cause it can't even be temporarely imported (for a show or race, for example)
I know that a hand full of Elises were imported by Lotus America, but only as race cars, with no title.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Not that this is the same scenario but, Australia had a problem with shipping MGBs into their country due to some very expensive import problems on new vehicles. The problem was solved by the cars being shipped striped down, put in boxes/crates and shipped as <span style="font-weight: bold">car parts</span> and reassembled in Australia. Don't know if you thought of this, but it might be an avenue to pursue. Once the car is here, there are ways to get it titled.

If the cost is not prohibitive and car parts are allowed, have it striped down and put in a shipping container.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I recall the key word being "USED" car parts...

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Your right Doc! "USED" is the key word!

OP
MichelVaillant

MichelVaillant

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks for the tips so far!
Honestly, that's exatly what I thought after I ran out of options... apart the similar crazy thought of shipping my Else to Canada and simply drive across the border on my german license plates on a tourist basis (I'm still no resident, but the paperwork is in the pipeline).
You know, I have that car for 10 years now, bought it new and it is kinda the only thing I really don't wanna part with. And I have to part with a lot of things since I decided to live here in the States. Like Autobahns...
It amazes me that I haven't found a person yet that knows the import business. I cn't be the first one who wants his car here...
In Europe it is so easy. If you buy a car, for example in the States, you can import it, no matter what. Only if you want to register it you have to bring the according paperwork. If you just want to admire it in your garage, you pay customs and that's that. No more questions. And then you can drive it on temporary plates every now and then if you want to.
Where is the point in that protectionism here?

MoPho

Jedi Trainee
There are a few guys driving around in S1 Elise's here in CA, but for the most part you can't bring them in. You might want to do a search on lotustalk.com (which is mostly an Elise forum), it has been discussed before.

You could always buy a Caterham which is even more fun than the Elise :wink:

MoPho

Jedi Trainee
Any S1 Elise's that were brought into the US were brought in for "off road use only". Some people may have found creative ways to register them in their state, but that does not mean it is legal in the eyes of the federal govt. and they risk the chance of the car being confiscated and crushed.

Most recent discussion about it here https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/street-legal-car-99-190r-59955/

V

vagt6

You also might contact your state's franchised auto dealer association. They may be able to point you in the right direction for the info you require on importing the Elise.

For example, in VA it's VADA (Virginia Automobile Dealer's Association). They represent most if not all new (franchised) auto dealers in the state. They may have someone on staff who can get you this info.

If not, maybe bribe a franchised dealer to import the car for you???

Interesting question, please let us know what happens.

OP
MichelVaillant

MichelVaillant

Freshman Member
Country flag
MoPho said:

After 100,000 miles in my elise I doubt that statement...
grin.gif
grin.gif
I want more from a car than just being fast around corners. My Elise was my only car for a long time and carried me around Europe no matter what weather or distance. Longest trip almost 1000 miles in a day, 2 people plus luggage from Germany to southern France, without being surgically removed from the car afterwards. It is just that it's a real car, not a road legal Kart. Sorry 7-owners, no offense!!!
But thanks for the link, I will check that.
And if it's impossible, I'll keep the car in Germany and build myself a Lotus XI :yesnod:

MoPho

Jedi Trainee
MichelVaillant said:
MoPho said:

After 100,000 miles in my elise I doubt that statement...
grin.gif
grin.gif
I want more from a car than just being fast around corners. My Elise was my only car for a long time and carried me around Europe no matter what weather or distance. Longest trip almost 1000 miles in a day, 2 people plus luggage from Germany to southern France, without being surgically removed from the car afterwards. It is just that it's a real car, not a road legal Kart. Sorry 7-owners, no offense!!!
But thanks for the link, I will check that.
And if it's impossible, I'll keep the car in Germany and build myself a Lotus XI :yesnod:

I said more <span style="text-decoration: underline">fun</span> not more practical :wink:
We have a Supercharged Elise, a Caterham, and a heavily modified Elan and the Seven is, by far, the most fun/exciting to drive.

If practicality and weather are important factors to you, an Eleven is not any better than a Seven (actually it is worse).

OP
MichelVaillant

MichelVaillant

Freshman Member
Country flag
Yes,
a Eleven isn't exactly a replacement for an Elise. And that is the point: If I cannot have my Elise, I want something different. And the shape of the Eleven is simply beautiful, and with a modern drivetrain quite easy on maintenance. A "real" one is way out of financial reach...

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Michel -

You have a private message...

Mickey