• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Looking at a MKI Midget today - need advice

Brian_C

This will be my first excursion into british cars and my first old car in a long time (last one was a '61 Chevy Bel Air).

Tomorrow, I'm going to take a look at a 1964 MKI Midget. Here's the For Sale ad.
[https://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/1/7/89646717.htm]

What specifically should I look for?

I'll be crawling around on the ground, looking for rust, but is there any biggies that are specific to this car/motor? For example, if it had a 1500 I'd want to check for signs of thrust washer wear.

It looks like there's some dents on the passenger side front fender. There may be some more issues around the passenger side headlight, it's hard to make out in the pictures.

Thanks,

Brian

P.S. posted on mgexperience.com, too.

RickB

Yoda
IMHO that's a pretty car and likely is worth what the seller is asking. Looks like the interior is in fairly new condition.

Yes, look for rust everywhere. Take a magnet, but you may want to use something to protect the car from direct contact.
Others here will without doubt tell you specific places to check.

I'd say you wouldn't be getting the best deal on the planet at that price, but it is fair especially if he's also put significant money into it mechanically. I can see from the interior that he has put money into it there.

BTW - Welcome to the forum!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
This should have a 1098 motor and disc front brakes. Big things to look for are rust, rust, and rust! Check especially the A-pillars right in front of the doors and the spring hangers right behind the seats. Sprites and Midgets are a unibody design, so structural rust can be an issue.

Mechanicals are generally robust, and parts are easily available. Don't be surprised if it has a later motor, the swaps are quite common.

The 1098 in this era car is not the strongest of the A-series motors, but it should run well. It will leak oil.

Take close-up pictures of any questionable bits, and we may be able to help you there. Good luck!

mccalebr

Jedi Knight
Brian,
My current project is a '62 Sprite...basically the same car structurally. Go to my web site https://www.raysmg.com and click on "The Spridget Project" button. Study carefully the photos on the "First Look" page and then check out what was found when the car was disassembled...those photos will show you where to REALLY look.

Someone already mentioned the spring hanger boxes... definitly check those out carefully. These quarter elliptic cars have springs that mount into a dead end box that is a great place for leaves, mud, dirt dobber nests, etc. to gather. Unlike the bottoms of fenders or sills however, they are not easy to get to and replace...don't ask me how I know.

Do not let this or any post deter you from really looking into this car seriously...it is a classic British roadster and well worth the investment of your time, effort, and $$$. Write me back about next spring (hopefully as my project is winding up) and remind me of what I just said /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Ray

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
The Midget is a very simple car to work on and a great platform to do many different things with. Any restoration's cost is directly tied to how much you can do yourself. Rust is a big issue because this is a unibody car and if there is rust arround rear spring attachments and through the body, it is a car you might stay away from. If it seems rust free, and the price is right, its a car you can have a lot of fun. Good luck!!!! I almost forgot, Welcome to the Forum, any questions, there are alot of very knowledgable members willing to give advice.

Does this car have a top? From the pictures it is hard to tell.

Since I would expect the car to be drivable at this price, I would look for issues with the shifter popping out of gear. I would listen for unusual whines in gears 3 and 4. I would also pull the plugs and check for heavy carbon or oil deposits.

I know that this is kind of car buying 101 stuff but sometimes its good to make a list before you go to look at it.

Just my 2 cents

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

mrsprite

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I used to live in Ft. Collins and never remember seeing this car.......very nice!

I know this post is about a month old (so you may have already bought it or passed on it), but there is a British repair shop in Ft. Collins called 'The Motorway' and they could give it the once over for you and tell you everything that is wrong (or right!) with it. They are great people and could definitely help you out. I would bring my Bugeye in weekly just to chew their ear off about something else that broke! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

LMK if you need their contact info.

mrsprite

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
On second thought.....after looking at the pics a bit more, I think that I remember seeing this car at The Motorway once or twice. You may want to give them a call and see what they can tell you about it.

Their number is : (970)472-8141 ask for Bill.

Jayrz

Jedi Trainee
Yeah that car was at Motorway when I was looking at an MGA about four months ago, had I known it was or was going to be for sale I would have baught it. Bill told me the owner had it serviced there exclusively and was a very sweet running 1098. Oh well, having a great time with my black 63 I found aboyt a week after being there....

jay