• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Little old lady's MGB Limited value

hottvr

Jedi Warrior
Get this. An 83 year woman who lives near where I work is ready to sell her 80 MGB Limited. It has about 51000 miles on it. She is the original owner and her name is on the little plaque on the glove box. The whole car is in great shape and all original options and parts are ther including an original hardtop (the air pump is still hooked up) haven't seen that here in FL.
What do I offer her for the car? She ain't no dummy and pretty sure she knows the value of the car. I don't want to insult her with a too low offer. Any suggestions?
Rick Hansen

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
I really don't think the car is worth much at all. I would suggest not getting it.

What is her telephone number and address? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

90 XJ-S

Jedi Trainee
Rick,

I don't know about on that other coast., but, over here on the good coast the car you describe could easily be worth as much as 10-12k. It also could be worth 3-4K, it kinda depends on paint and interior. There realy isn't a lot of extra value in an LE, it's all in how you market it.
That being said, I would pay a premium for a good LE. But, that's just me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I would try low-balling it and if she takes offense tell her you were joking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

6-7K is fair as a first offer. But, like I said, try less, if she bites then.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Mike

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I have a 1980 MGB, not an LE, but it has 26K original miles, paintwork is marvellous, original paint, interior excellent, all emissions gear including air pump attached and in working order, new carpets but the seats are original, etcetera. Options were luggage rack, white sidewalls and trim rings. Roof has seen better days and needs replacing. Putting that in context with hers, I paid $7,600 for it, and have put much time and work into it to get the paint back up to snuff. (It's blue, and you know how that can fade if left alone). I would value it at between $8K to $9K, if that is a guide for you? Yes, an LE might be woth a little more, but I reckon that at about 6,800 LEs, there are more of those around than there are Pageant Blue cars like mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Kim de B

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You gotta love a woman who buys a new MGB when she is 59 . . . then keeps it 24 years, driving it an average of only 2,000 miles a year !

Good luck with that LE! It deserves to go to a good home.

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
I still don't think it is worth much.

Still waiting for a telephone number.

Kim - I see you are from the Gap. I wonder how many on this forum are reasonbly close by in the NJ/PA area?

Kim de B

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Nial (aeronca65t) is a neighbor. But where the heck are you, Bruce? Perhaps not really in Netherlands Antilles?

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Bruce:

We have a good number of BCF members in the northeast USA. I've met several of them (including Kim and her hubby). There's not simple way to get geographic locations from the BCF User List, but I'm sure there's at least 25 *active* users withing a few hours of me.
As far as I can tell (this is to answer Kim's question), you are keeping your cars in NJ, but spend most of your time in a place similar to Paradise (is that correct?).
If you are planning on visiting NJ in the future, let us know and perhaps we can meet up at a show or event. Here are various events that are reasonably local.

https://www.mgcars.org.uk/events/eventusa.html

https://vista.pca.org/jsr/jsrpca/dales.htm

https://www.carshownews.com/national/NJ.htm

https://www.victoriabritish.com/events.htm

https://www.tvrna.com/ww24/woodwork2004.html

https://www.njtriumphs.org/html/events.htm

I am likely to be at the Moss Fallfest on Sept 11 and the National TVR Meet Oct 8-10. Both of these are excellent and in NJ. I may be at some of the other stuff above as well. Also, I will be at *all* upcoming EMRA events.

https://www.emraracing.org/Emraeven.htm

(Note to all: Sorry if we hihacked this "little old lady-MGB" thread!)

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
[ QUOTE ]
Nial (aeronca65t) is a neighbor. But where the heck are you, Bruce? Perhaps not really in Netherlands Antilles?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am living on Bonaire (Neth. Antilles ) and have been for 32 years but my cars are kept in NJ where I visit and hopefully get to as many car shows as possible.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Hey Bruce, do you need someone to visit your cars and drive them, you know, keep them in good working condition, polish them, drool on them? I hear that return fares from Milwaukee to New Jersey can be quite reasonable if bought in bulk, and in any event they would be no more than a two-day drive away. Then maybe I could house-sit for you at the hotel while you are visiting your cars? No charge, be happy to help a neighbour......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Henri

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Nice Steve....real nice...good idea...I wonder if he'll fall for it...if he does...I have a bridge for sale... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

I do admire you creativity though...maybe he'd store them in Milwaukee...with that kind of offer.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
[ QUOTE ]
As far as I can tell, you are keeping your cars in NJ, but spend most of your time in a place similar to Paradise (is that correct?).
If you are planning on visiting NJ in the future, let us know and perhaps we can meet up at a show or event.

[/ QUOTE ]

Born and raised in Milford, NJ where I visit usually in June and again in October after the scuba diving show. I like the Lehigh and Hellertown shows but want to change my vacation dates and try some others.

I will just miss the TVR show by a week. Same time as the dive show. Otherwise I am full time on Bonaire.

Paradise? Yes perhaps, but I sure miss a lot that the U.S. has to offer.
Bruce

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
[ QUOTE ]
Hey Bruce, do you need someone to visit your cars and drive them, you know, keep them in good working condition, polish them, drool on them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif

catfood

Jedi Knight
Steve,

You're welcome to come over here to wash and polish my Healey, and while you are at it I've got a couple of modern Renaults that need a good scrub and my next door neighbours Vauxhall Corsa looking a bit grubby....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Marty - really a nice car. Looks like it does not need much work if any. Best of luck with it.

Perhaps I'll meet you on the road somehwere. My cars are not too far from Nazarth. Used to go to the old speedway there when stock cars were running. As a kid I liked the crashes best. I know better now.

fadler1

You can really search ebay for lots of LE's. There seem to be at least three at all times. Good comparison. Also search "completed auctions". Ebay seems to set the "real value" in the world. Remember that shipping adds about a grand and that listing costs a few hundred so you can find ads, print them and show them in your negotiations. I have bought and sold nine cars on ebay and it really does put "real value" on a sometimes overvalued item.