• NOTICE: This "Forum Navigation Questions" forum is only for asking questions related to navigating this web site. DO NOT post car-related questions here., For car-related questions, use the appropriate marque-related forum.
  • The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Links

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Here is my question - before the last upgrade, if I cut and pasted a link into a post, it showed up as a link. Now it just comes as text.

eg. https://flickr.com/photos/10772705@N05/2369750614/

However, if I take the same link and run it through something like tinyurl.com

and cut and paste it, it shows up as a link

eg. https://tinyurl.com/3aabtw

I'm confused

thanks for the boards though

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi John,
The @ sign is what's doing it. For security, that character (normally used for email addresses) is changed to a graphic. It keeps bots from gathering addresses for spam on the internet. Try using the link button (the earth with chain) for web addys.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
What Greg said :iagree: I made that modification to the software to protect people from themselves. Many times people will post their email address in a forum unaware that they have just invited a million spam bots to harvest their email addresses for for healthy servings of SPAM :spam:
By causing the "at" sign to be changed to a .gif of an "at" sign, the spam bots don't see
you@somewhere.com as an email address.

Basil

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
thanks you thank you - now does this mean I can put my email in and it won't get harvested?