• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

less schwab alignment on midget?

recordsj

Jedi Warrior
Has anyone had their midget taken in to Less Schwab (local northwest tire shop) for wheel alignment? I am wondering if there would be any issues of them doing the work on a small older car like mine ('74 MG Midget).
Can anyone report any experience with them for older small cars?
I have taken my other newer modern cars to them without any issues...

lbc_newbie

Jedi Warrior
I had them bleed my brakes for me. I was frustrated that I could not get a solid feel on the pedal. I paid $50 for the job figuring they could just get 'er dun. They used the wrong type of fluid and the pedal doesn't feel any better than when I brought it in. They do not do the research necessary on the older, foreign cars to see what they really need. They treat them like a Chevy and put standard stuff in 'em. I'd find a local foreign shop, or do it yourself. There have been several threads out here regarding alignments.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
I don't have near the experience most of you guys have but I don't let ANYONE work on my toy cars because I've come to realize that even my limited experience beats the tar out of those shops full of 16 year-olds with NO experience (with an MG). Nope, it's either me doing my homework or an experienced MG guy (and since I can't afford one of those, it's me doing my homework).

Tom Rynne

The only alignment that can be done is toe in.
This should be very easy for any alignment shop and I wouldn't pay more that $30.
You can do it yourself either using the string system or a couple of yard sticks and 3 C clamps.
There was a thread here a couple of weeks back on how to do it.
If setting toe in doesn't correct your problem the rubber bushings in the front end probably need to be replaced?

Midget78

Jedi Trainee
I have been doing some research as of late and Yes, the only actual adjustment that can be made is toe-in unless you plan on removing front end components and do some shimming. I also agree with not letting anyone else work on the car. Things always seem to go the "bad" direction with someone else. Plus it takes the fun out of working on these cars and learning things as you go. When you get something fixed or corrected you can sit back and have that extra good feeling that you did it and "you" know what was done and how good it is.
One note, places like Auto-zone, Murrey's, (auto stores) will rent to you tools such as the speed bleeder kit which can be used for brakes and clutch circuits. These things are quick and easy and will get all of the air out of the lines giving you a nice strong pedal. Easy to use and keeps the used fluid controlled.
I would go through the front end and push / pull on everything to see if you have any wear or parts that need replaced before moving into any adjustments.

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have come to the conclusion that I will not trust very many people with my MG (or any other old vehicles). Even on my new car, I will not let someone else work on it if it's something I can do. I have had way too many "experts" screw up my stuff over the years. I have even caught ?reputable? national chain stores not replacing filters when doing their 30 minute or less oil changes, or leaving old valve stems in wheels, but charging for new....