• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Leaky roof

Keef

Freshman Member
Hey folks

I recently purchased a 1992 Jag XJ6. The car is in great shape......but (there is always a but). I find when it rains and I get in, water drips from where the head liner meets the trim over the driver's door. My wife would say I need to lose weight......ha ha ha I checked the sunroof and the seal looks good. Just wondering, I can see a drain hole on both sides of the sunroof frame. Could this tube be leaking and if so how hard or hopefully easy is it to fix.

Thanks,
Keef

PS........anyone know a good site for ordering parts? I looked into new front shocks and there is about $200 difference between the dealership and a site I found.

Thanks again,
Keef

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Try the dollar bill test and put it on the frame of the car and shut the door. If the bill moves easily in various places replace door weatherstrip. Sun roof drains need to be periodically cleaned by small jets of water or air. Not easy to fix without removing headliner. Try vender services here first ,as they are sponsors to site, and then XKS Unlimtited, Welsch Enterprises all are better priced than dealers and you will have a larger parts and product base.

OP
K

Keef

Freshman Member
Awesome thanks for the tips I will try them. Course it will have to be a $5 bill test. We don't have dollar bills up here anymore.......ha ha ha

I had already planned on removing part of the headliner to get at the drains. Do you know if they are rubber, plastic or metal?

I will try the vendors on here...

Thanks,
Keef

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
I use metal guitar strings.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Inner speedo cable from a Midget. :devilgrin:

D

Deleted member 8987

Hook the end up to 4500PSI EMBT Blow off a Fast Attack and it'll be clear.

OP
K

Keef

Freshman Member
Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice. I pulled open the head liner and it was the drain tube had come away from the drain on the sun roof. Got it hooked up with only a couple of minor cuts......ha ha ha

Thanks again,
Keef

OP
K

Keef

Freshman Member
Beginners luck I guess...............now for the shocks. Figured I would start small...............ha ha ha

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
just follow the Factory's step by step instructions,

1) remove engine,
2) remove all doors, hood/bonnet, boot/trunk lid,
3) remove front and rear windscreens,
4) remove interior,
5) remove all electrical harnesses from car,
6) raise specific side of car desired,
7) remove wheel and tire desired,
8) proceed to remove shock following Procedure Number 672.27, on Page 37.A,
Sub-paragraph 817-cc, Sub-section B-27.A, Residual Conference 217.82 of British Standards 2.3.00.87.65--A

Installation of new shock is the reverse of above.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Rears are easier!

...you can skip "step 1" :devilgrin:

OP
K

Keef

Freshman Member
Rears will get you into trouble................
boat shocks are easy.....just wait for calm seas..............

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Just don't try doin' all four at the same time.

klass6

Freshman Member
Blocked or detached drainage tubes are the great silent problem of cars with sun roofs or air conditioners: my experience is
1) 76 XJ6C that I have driven since its birth. I noted perennially wet carpets on passenger side and laughed at my wife when she refused to sit on that side claiming it made her feel like her legs were getting doused with water on hot days. Turns out that the a/c condensate drainage tube would block periodically and spill over would drain down into the floor. Coat hanger from below was curative.
2) my beloved mini cooper (05) suddenly developed the bizarre combination of bad smell, water sloshing around in the rear passenger foot well and odd electrical malfunctions. Took it to dealer who identified detached tube from sun roof drainage well, with the obvious leakage as the outcome. There are major electronic components in the rear well apparently. I had a big fight with Mini and finally got them to pick up the $1000 tab!
Apart from the obvious problems ( which I think are probably ubiquitous) I worry about the long term consequences of mold build up in these situations. As a lung doctor, I can assure you all that lots of wheezy illnesses like asthma can result from chronic exposure to the mold that likely builds up in cars with damp carpets and underlay.
Any one else have thoughts/experience with this issue?

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
yes, it sounds like your XJ-C came with a Sprinkler System from the factory, as evidenced by the wife claiming it made her feel like her legs were getting doused with water on hot days.

On the subject of damp carpets and potential mold, I will get serious:

remove all the floor mats and underlayment/insulation pads, set them under the sun everytime you have a sunny day, allow them to "cook" under the sun. This will dry them well and eliminate any musty odor. Spray the floors with Lysol Desinfectant Spray which (supposedly) kills bacteria, mold, and mildew. Same with the mats and pads.

assuming you have a dry garage, open all the car windows and run a fan towards the interior of the car to really move air in and out. Leave like that for at least a week or two, mats and pads out of the car, Spray Lysol every now and then. (I prefer the linen scent, it smells neutral).

You will feel an improvement in the freshness of the interior when you reinstall the insulation pads and mats. I do this on both my Jags in Summer when it gets really hot, to really dry the pads and mats Keeps the interior fresh.

Ex