• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Leaky Freeze Plug

Blonde Healey Girl

Country flag
Our 60' BT7 has a weeping freeze plug. Naturally it's on the back and up against the firewall, only visible with the help of a mirror. It's the upper one closest to the intake manifold. What are my chances of cleaning it and filling it with a JB Weld type product? The tranny tunnel offers a little working room in terms of trying to replace it. Are there any replacement plugs that you don't have to hammer in? Very confined work area!!!Thanks!

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
[ QUOTE ]
Are there any replacement plugs that you don't have to hammer in? Very confined work area!!!Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]
There sure are. See attached pic. Just stick it in the hole & tighten the nut to expand it. Available at many auto parts places. Although supposedly temporary, some folks have been known to get by for years.
D

Attachments

• 279091-DSC00890.jpg
    279091-DSC00890.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 166

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior
Hey, you think that's a confined space to work, try replacing the upper plugs behind the carbs and manifold. Major PITA. You definitely can change out that rear plug using access from the tunnel. Or, I guess you could try that gizmo that Dave recommends. But I'd want to know what's going on with the engine that caused the plug to fail. If one is gone chances are the others are also in various state of decay.

I had a very leaky plug, in the worst possible position, that turned out to be the result of a poor installation by a PO, rather than corrosion. Turns out I only needed to replace the one plug. Perhaps you'll be lucky like that too.
Randy '66 BJ8

Ed Kaler

Jedi Warrior
B.H.G.:

Dave is quite correct. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif It is a VERY common problem!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

A lot of us carry a couple in the boot "just in case"!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif
Ed

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Hi TH,
I have no idea what size. My engine has three different sizes, 1.620", 1.312", & 1.180", so I keep several "in the boot". Your best bet is to get a caliper on some of yours & get measurements. Or maybe someone more knowledgeable on the Sixes knows.

A given plug covers quite a size range so they don't have to be real exact. For example, the one shown in the pic will go from 1.135" to 1.230" & nicely covers my 1.180" plug.
D

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Dave, what is the size of the plug? I'd like to carry one in the boot.

[/ QUOTE ]

OH !! TH, you will have to get "TWO" as the parts book says : "Core Plugs Large and Small" so you will need one of each.--Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hi TH,

Good idea to carry one of each as a spare/back-up!
Please post what the two sizes you get and where you got them. I too would like to pick up set.

I've been following your updates about your car.
Learning a lot. Thanks for sharing and best of luck.
Cheers, Roger

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior
Roger - as you know, I was going to do an complete coreplugectomy last month but found that I didn't really need to do that. So I have a bag full of core plugs (both sizes) that I never got around to sending back to the vendor. You're welcome to whatever you would like.
Randy '66 BJ8

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hi Randy,
I was thinking more a line the lines of one of each of the rubber ones. Thinking that they may be easyer to install in an emergency situation?

Thoughts on rubber vs metal, folks, for emergency?
Roger

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Roger, It really does not make any difference which you use if it is for emergency use only. For a more permanent use of the rubber one I might change the Bolt/Nut to SS. OTOH, there is an all metal one which is a real design wonder. It is made of brass I think, installs similar to the rubber one but is of a more permanent fixture. I looked for it in my files but could not locate it again. A bit of searching on the Internet should turn it up, It certainly is worth the effort.---Fwiw---Keoke

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
[ QUOTE ]
OTOH, there is an all metal one which is a real design wonder. It is made of brass I think, installs similar to the rubber one but is of a more permanent fixture. -Keoke

[/ QUOTE ]

The metal plugs are available in several sizes as shown below.
I really believe that the rubber plugs are better for emergency use. The metal plugs require a very clean & smooth seating surface & have little expansion capability. Hard to correctly install in a roadside emergency.

I once installed the metal plugs in a Chrysler Hemi build up. Perfectly clean & true seating surfaces, ideal access conditions. They lasted a very long time & never gave any trouble. Probably better than the original stock type plugs.

The rubber plugs cover a larger size mismatch & seal much better on the rough, dirty surfaces that are likely to be encountered in an emergency.

https://www.dormanproducts.com
Dorman catalog listings:
Quick-Seal Copper;
1 1/4" - #024-080
1 1/2" - #02482 or #568-009
1 5/8" - #02483 or #568-010
1 3/4" - #568-011

Quick-Seal Rubber;
3/4" to 7/8" - #02608
7/8" to 1" - #02609
1" to 1 1/8" - # 02600
1 1/4" to 1 3/8" - #02601
1 3/8" to 1 1/2" - #02602
1 1/2" to 1 5/8" - #02603
1 5/8" to 1 3/4" - #02604
1 3/4" to 1 7/8" - #02605
1 7/8" to 2" - #02606
2" to 2 1/8" - #02607
D

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
No Dave, I thought the one I saw was Dorman too but that is not the case. The one I saw is similar but comes in random sizes not indexed to specific cars and includes a very detailed color picture and an extensive presentation on how it works. I will run across it again I am sure.--Keoke

OH! with the Dorman plugs smearing them with "Locktite" Ultra Grey prior to installation, I think its Type 555, not the Permatex stuff available in most of the discount part houses, will seal them up tight.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Wot!! am I doing over there reading about MG's ?--- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif Yeah I thought that it was Dorman. Use the sealer and they work a treat.--Thanks--- Keoke-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Country flag
I've used Dormans on my XK140 years ago and was impressed at how easy it was. Didn't use any seal or locktite and had no problems. I did over tighten one and distroyed it. I'm not sure the amount of torque that should have been used but I exceeded it. It was fun getting the remains out.

bighly

Jedi Knight
So what part numbers are needed in my bag of road spares?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yep TH, The jags eat their core plugs alive up under the manifolds. So we use the repair technique until its justified to pull everything apart and replace with new plugs. Sure not going to do all that work for one leaky plug.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know what sizes your engine uses. Two different sizes I believe. Maybe someone who knows will reply. Could you just measure a couple in your engine?
D

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

--The core plug sizes fitted to the 3000 engines are: 1 1/4", 1 5/16", 1 5/8" and 1 3/4"----Fwiw---Keoke