• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

lead additive?

RickB

Yoda
Anyone use the stuff?
I saw a bottle at the auto parts place, said it treats 320 gallons. One ounce per 10 gallons, it's red stuff.
Is this snake oil?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Snake oil me thinks. Just run gas from the pump. Valves are cheep and seats last a long time in any case.

Easy enough to pull the head when in future years you need to have it repaired.

fabmandan

Jedi Hopeful
It might be "snake oil" like Jack says, but I used it in every fill up in my 1962 Galaxie and I never had a problem. 5 bucks for a bottle that lasts a year is a lot cheaper and less of a hassle than rebuilding a head.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Snake Oil indeed. Toss a few ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil in the tank and you'll have both the warm-fuzzy feeling that you've "done good" and saved a BUNCH of money. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
I already use MMO in my dash pots.
I think it does good, therefore it does! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I've replaced the 20 year old oil & filter now and replaced the cap & rotor and plugs and wires. This is all in my B btw.
I also turned the adjusters on the bottoms of the SU's up a couple of flats. It was running pretty rich.
I know it could use a full tune up of the carbs, but it's cold out there and it is running really good right now! This engine really appreciates a little TLC /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Vroom Vroom!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I think I've put about every oil known to man in dashpots at one time or another. Mineral oil, cod liver oil, 30W, 3-in-1, MMO, etc. Now they'd get whatever is goin' into the crankcase at the time.
I've stuffed a 40mm Weber DCOE on it now, so no more dashpots to fill. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
Gotta like the vRooom!!!! I vote with the snake oil, but if you like the snake oil and it makes you feel better. I vote for a sixpack of brewskies. Here is to the holidays.

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
Dashpots don't care what oil. They are only for fuel enrichment upon acceleration.

MMO works great in the fuel system especially on diesels. Keeps the injectors from sticking.

Lead additive... Not for me. Yeah, could be cheap, but then it puts lead into the atmosphere. There was a reason the stuff was discontinued.
https://www.mindfully.org/Pesticide/Lead-History.htm
And I'm not convinced of the damage to the engines (except MAYBE slight seat wear). That could be just as much a myth as so many other things.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
I remember as a kid I would sometimes get to go up on the hillside above the city where I lived. There was always this kind of green layer to the sky, a little later when I started doing a some traveling I found that greenish layer of air above all cities I visited. That greenish layer of leaded air is gone now, and that has to be a good thing.

Lead killed the Roman empire. They cooked with lead pots and pans and slowly poisoned themselves.

You would think we would learn from history, not merely repeat it over and over.

On the upside, the car ran great this morning except I leaned out the carbs too much. It was below freezing here so that cold air taught me something. I'll richen them a bit at lunchtime.

fabmandan

Jedi Hopeful
Donn, it's not lead, it's lead substitute. It does what lead used to do but it's more enviromentally friendly.