• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

LBC sounds

jayhawk

Jedi Warrior
My first new LBC was a '72 MGB (kinda dates me) but back then there was the porsche 914, the triumph spit,and TR6 and the new sensation, datsun 240Z car. One of the reasons I bought the MGB was the wonderful sound it made as one went thru the gears. I hear similar music from the AH six bangers but my triumph just sounds, well sorta' regular. I was told it was the manifold configuration on the B that was responsible for the sound but wondered if this group had some thoughts as to why (as well as making a TR3 sound more, um, sporting?)

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
The siamesed ports of the MGB may contribute to its sound, but I think its the muffler design that makes the most difference because the A series are also siamesed but don't sound as nice.

I like the sound of a straight six, big Healey growl or TR6 or the smooth Jag purr. My TR4 doesn't sound bad with a quiet(ish) performance exhaust.
I like the sound of intake suck from the SU carbs as well!
Simon.

V

vagt6

Of course, we all have our favorites. But mine is the GT6!

On the Group 44 Racing website, there's a great story of racing GT6s titled "The devil car with the hellish howl".

To me, it's pure heaven!

ObiRichKanobi

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My TR7 has a nice deep rumble, especially when decelerating. Not too loud, even though it has the Monza exhaust. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I hate to say this but I really enjoyed the Spitfire for the two weeks from the time I put the header on it to the time I put the exahust on the header. Man it was loud, but it sounded great.

Stinky

Jedi Trainee
I've got a single exhaust pipe, going into a Glasspack Muffler, and a chrome tip on the end. The Chrome tip looks a lot like the tip on the monza exhaust systems.

Talk about Free Flow Exhaust /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I get a lot of compliments on the sound of my TR6. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

ron wilson

Jedi Hopeful
Just replaced the stock exhaust on my TR3 with a Monza system from Moss. The system consists of a muffler and a resonator that fits between the lead off pipe and the muffler. I left the resonator off and it now sounds a lot better. When I put the resonator on with the Monza muffler it sounded sort of like an outboard motor. The system now sounds good to me but may be too lowd for some.

steve99

Jedi Trainee
I put a sport stainless system from triple S on this spring, it also consisted of a pipe, resonator, and muffler/tailpipe assy. With the resonator installed, the car sounded kind of like an outboard as well, I replaced the resonator with just a pipe and now it sounds wonderfull.

Stinky

Jedi Trainee
Wonder what it would sound like if you left the resonator on there, and removed the muffler?

OP
J

jayhawk

Jedi Warrior
Hadn't considered the good sounds that can come form a GT6-- and I've heard some pretty good sounding spitfires. Thanks for the tips on the experience with some you your triumphs
The stock MGB exhaust system was so mellow and I'd like to know if there's some consistent combination or brand that I can bolt on that makes the TR3 more sports car sounding (but not really just loud). The previous owner put a conventional Midas store exhaust system that looks new so I don't want to sacrifice that to experiment. Thanks in advance

Bugeye58

Yoda
My '67 GT6 is only running the center "muffler", and terminates with a megaphone I made from a 2 stroke expansion chamber.
This thing sounds <u>seriously</u> evil!
Jeff

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Both TR3s I've had have sounded like race cars...both had Monza exhausts, and my '59 had headers, which made it a little deeper sounding. My TR-250 didn't sound much different, and in fact, I've always thought the TRs had some of the best exhaust notes ever. It's like a little car with a very big growl.

Most British cars have great exhaust sounds, though. Healeys, MGs, even Lotus.

Bugeye58

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
Most British cars have great exhaust sounds, though. Healeys, MGs, even Lotus.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sam, as I said earlier, all LBC's sound right to me.
Jeff

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
I like the sound of just about any engine. If it runs, it's fun.

Although, I'll say that my all-time favorite engine sound is a Lamborghini Miura (www.apexstrategy.com/sc/miura.wav)
Just really hard to beat!

Webb Sledge

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
I like the sound of just about any engine. If it runs, it's fun.

Although, I'll say that my all-time favorite engine sound is a Lamborghini Miura (www.apexstrategy.com/sc/miura.wav)
Just really hard to beat!

[/ QUOTE ]

Gonna have to agree with you there! There was a Miura S at our LBC show this fall, and as he left the park the sound was like nothing else.

UltimateQuestion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I was at a car show a few years back and there was a 50s-60s Indy Roadster on display. When he fired up that old Offy (Offenhauser) race motor it drew in every person at the show. What a mechanical symphony, and it ran on Methanol! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif