• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Knocking in rear axle

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior
Well, the BJ8 is about done, but..... On a short drive Friday, a knocking began from the rear axle area. I checked wheel and hub tightness, as well as drive shaft and universal joints, and exhaust. With the car on jack stands and no wheels, and in gear with engine running, the knocking is evident, and related to speed. The wheels will turn through maybe 5-10 degrees of rotation before the driveshaft begins to turn. I'm thinking that something is awry in the differential, possibly a broken tooth on the pinion gear. I can pull it out and get it to a pro, but before I do that, I just wondered if there might be another diagnostic approach before major surgery. Thanks.

HEALEYJAG

Jedi Warrior
Had a similar occurance last year, and as I went thru the checklist one of the splined hubs was loose ...solved the problem.

I have never had a rear end on the 20 or so Healeys I have owned so I am inclined to think it might be a simpler issue..Keep looking and good luck.

Pete

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Might check the driveshaft as it passes through the tunnel. You may be just hitting the Emergency brake mechanism. Worth a check before removing rear diff.

Sparkie93

Country flag
While you have it on jack stands you might pull the brake drums and run it again to rule out a brake component issue - JUST DON'T PRESS THE BRAKE PEDAL TO STOP THE REAR AXLES FROM TURNING WHILE YOU HAVE THE DRUMS OFF!!!

OP
C

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior
Thanks. What about that slop between the axle and the driveshaft? I would think that there might be a little slop, but 5-10 degrees?

HEALEYJAG

Jedi Warrior
MY slop on my hundred is very similar......Originally thought that was the issue!

Pete

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
The "slop" is called gear lash. There is a certain amount of play inherent/required in the hypoid and spider gears. It's taken up when the differential is under torque. There is a spec, but you have to remove the pumpkin and test it on the bench (along with bearing preload). The shop manual has excellent instructions in "proper" English. 5-10deg at the road wheels sounds about right.

BTW, the knock could possibly be due to a loose shock (although you usually notice that on the road and it's not necessarily proportional to speed--just something else to check).

OP
C

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior
Thanks, Bob. The noise is present with the wheels off and the car on jack stands. I'll just have to start slowly taking things apart till I find the culprit. Jim

B

BUNDYRUM

Hello Cutlass,

Did you by any chance replace the pinion seal in the differential and not torque the nut on the flange properly?. These differentials are usually quite reliable.

The movement at the wheel you are talking about seems about right.

Best regards,

bundyrum.

OP
C

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior
Thanks, bundyrum. There are some things I just won't do, and work on differentials is one of them. I had the seal replaced, along with one or two bearings, by one who does such things for a living. I'll probably get the time this weekend to sort out the source of the problem.

RobWarren

Jedi Hopeful
I used to get a knocking from my BJ8 at the rear, particularly going over bumps and holes in the awful Sydney roads.

After a long search it was found to be the bolts holding the shock absorbers to the chassis - they simply needed tightening as they'd come a bit loose.

Not sure if this is th same as your problem but every bit of info helps....!

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
RobWarren said:
I used to get a knocking from my BJ8 at the rear, particularly going over bumps and holes in the awful Sydney roads.

After a long search it was found to be the bolts holding the shock absorbers to the chassis - they simply needed tightening as they'd come a bit loose.

Not sure if this is th same as your problem but every bit of info helps....!
I found the bolt with the same "knocking sound" problem and an added problem...the hole had been enlarged due to letting the "knocking" sound go too long. Rounded out the hole and welded a large washer in the mount with the correct size bolt hole, and it took car of it.
Patrick

OP
C

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior
Well, it's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. Two teeth on the pinion gear broke off in chunks. I believe that the damage was old, because of the discoloration on part of the fracture sites, with no discoloration on the fresh part of the fracture.

I've never had to replace either a ring or pinion gear before. Certainly I won't be doing the work, but do these gears have to be replaced as a matched pair? My guess is that the answer is yes. Any other advice before I take the Pumpkin to the Great Pumpkin Doctor?

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Cutlass, FYI. Ed K. has a matched ring and pinon set for sale in the BCF classified. I sold Ed my differential serveral months ago. They came off my 1960 BT7 and are in perfect shape. I replaced them with 3.54 gearing. If you're looking for a good set, give him a call.

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
Hi Rob,

That's right. The set I have on the classifieds came out of the assembly I purchased From Rob and is now installed in my Healey with the 3.56 Lempert gear set instead of the factory set.
The ring and pinion set for sale on the classifieds has no visible wear. That is they way it should be after 100,000 miles when you keep the differential full of oil all the time.

... Cutlass, Notice the price is right !

Ed