• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Knock off lettering

John Loftus

Darth Vader
The latest Knockoffs (2 eared, 12 TPI type) from Moss do not have the (nearside) or (offside) and they said they believe theirs comes from the only factory in England making these anymore.

Does nearside/offside refer to the drivers/passenger side? Wouldn't the knockoffs need to be marked differently for left hand drive and right hand drive vehicles? I can only find one set of numbers in the parts list. Did the large export quantities to N. American rule the tooling choice?

Does anyone know if the parts were supeceded by the factory to remove the (nearside) (offside) lettering? Moss was suggesting this may be the case. They gave me a call when I returned the parts and are interested in knowledgeable input on the lettering from the Healey community. I know tooling gets replaced as it wears out and sometimes the new tooling gets changed in ways subtle and not so subtle. I've seen a bunch of original Lucas 594 glass lenses and all of them look a little different.

Any input that I can pass on to Moss (Kelvin Dodd and Michael Grant) would be greatly appreciated. If anyone knows of another source producing the correct knockoff that info would also be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
John Loftus

stevebn2bj7

Jedi Warrior
John,
I purchased a new set of knock offs from AH Spares about a year and a half ago and they did hve the near side/off side letting on them. I also have a set of Moss KO's and they are just as you describe. Also, the originals seem to have the wording engraved or stamped into them whereas the Moss ones seem to have the lettering cast into them. Irregardless it is also not of the same definition or clarity as the originals. I would check with AH Spares to see if theirs are still as I bought a while back.

OP
John Loftus

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Thanks Steve,

I'll check with AH Spares. I have an older set of knockoffs with correct engraving that is as your describe (thin stamped look vs. thick/cast). I could get these rechromed but have concerns about the strength of the threads and condition of the mating surfaces.

Cheers,
John

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
John, I got mine from AH Spares about 18 months ago and they were correct.
Lin
1960 BT7 in restoration
1959 Bugye

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Does nearside/offside refer to the drivers/passenger side?

[/ QUOTE ]

What a messy terminology.

I believe it refers to the "Near the kerb" and "Off the kerb" wheels when in Britain, I've also heard it said to refer to horses- the near side being the side mounted, though it seems odd since as I understand it that too is the dismount side.

I cannot imagine making different versions of these products for LHD and RHD cars.

So driving on the left makes the "nearside" the left side and "offside" the right, from the driver's seat. Similarly confusing is "driver's side"- left in US, right in UK.

I'd say that the near side is the left or US driver's side, even if the rationale for the nomenclature no longer applies once the colonials started driving on the wrong side of the road. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just another example of British automotive terminology unimpenetrable to those elsewhere. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
From the <u>English To American Dictionary</u>:

"offside n. The side of a car furthest from the kerb (the side nearer being the nearside)."

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
From the <u>English To American Dictionary</u>:

"offside n. The side of a car furthest from the kerb (the side nearer being the nearside)."

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif
Michael, They should have checked with James Wilson before they published it!---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

hay look guys,all the wheels on the left side of the car [as viewed from the drivers seat on american exports]get tightened just like the cap on your favorite bottle of beer-clockwise,the otherside [right side as viewed from the drivers seat]are tightened counterclockwise, better known as the british way backwards,hay they drive on the wrong side of the street right?on my car i know how to change tires on the drivers side,if i get a flat on the right side well i pull over and just wait till a landrover goes by flag him down and check for the accent!p.s they drink worm beer as well,thats why they dont have bottle caps at all!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

OP
John Loftus

John Loftus

Darth Vader
[ QUOTE ]
p.s they drink worm beer as well,thats why they dont have bottle caps at all!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

o.k. I can handle warm beer (although during my last trip to an English pub in London they gave me a choice .. warm or cold) but worm beer must be an acquired taste. Do they leave the bottle caps off so the worms can crawl out? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

John

john, and i thought i was going to take some flack from our brother across the pond,i hope they read your comments first,if it gets to rough,we can pumell them with all the 'lucas'stuff!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
... they drink worm beer as well,thats why they dont have bottle caps at all!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you're thinking of Tequila?

Beer at British room temperature probably isn't all that different from your American refrigerator. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

For a nice, really cold drink I regularly (October through April) keep bottled and canned drinks outside.

Besides, I don't drink much beer, worm or not, I prefer Scotch to warm me up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...Besides, I don't drink much beer, worm or not, I prefer Scotch to warm me up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me, can you get decent Scotch there in Glasgow? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Radford

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...Besides, I don't drink much beer, worm or not, I prefer Scotch to warm me up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me, can you get decent Scotch there in Glasgow? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but its called wiskey /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but its called wiskey /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Er, it's Whisky without an "e" here in bonnie Scotland....

And there's a remarkable quantity of the good stuff about... even in Glasgow.