• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wedge Just reminded myself what a great car the TR8 is.

Cheapsnake

Jedi Trainee
The TR8 was to be my steeping stone to the true love and passion in my life - a Cobra (replica, of course). Cheapsnake, get it? Anyway, I finally realized my dream a couple years after the TR8 and the TR8 became the neglected and forgotten child. It was banished to an open carport, sometimes covered, most times not, driven more for utility than for fun, maintained just enough to keep it alive.

Yesterday, I woke up with the sole objective of cleaning, fixing and tweaking the TR8. BTW, I had just replaced the Lucas alternator with a GM, so it wasn't completely neglected. However, it reminded me of the reason LBC's are held in low regard by some. As I'm washing off the layers of grime, I'm taking in the lines, somewhat radical at the time, somewhat dated by today's standards. Who hides headlights anymore? What were the discussions in The BL board room over those veddy un-British lines? Who cares? I love em.

Speaking of un-British, where did that modicum of comfort come from? A/C, power steering, power brakes, this ain't your father's Triumph.

And finally, the piece de resistance, the reason the TR8 is the TR8, that marvelous little V8 nestled under the hood and making the sweetest sounds this side of a Ferrari. It won't pull the fillings out of your teeth, but it'll sure as heck put a smile on your face. I fell in love with that engine (put one in a 914). Hooked up to a not-so-silky-smooth 5-speed tranny and this thing is a blast to drive and good to cruise at 90 all day long. Apparently BL didn't plan on the TR8 stopping much, with rear drum brakes, but in the whole scheme of things I'll give them a pass on that one.

So, I've rediscovered the TR8 and like a relationship that's gone bad and been revitalized, my love for the car is even deeper. So, will it replace the Cobra as my favorite drive? Probably not. For cheap thrills, nothing beats the Cobra, but for thrills with a little more civility, the TR8 wins hands down.

Tom

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I've said it many times: If it weren't for the acquisition of one of Tony's projects, I'd still have a TR8 in the garage. Never thought I'd let it go, but don't have the room or resources for all the toys I'd like to have.

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
Welcome back snake. I was just wondering the other day what had become of you. I too was all gung ho to drive a TR8 today. It is one I spent two years completely restoring for my dad. He suffered a bad hand injury midway thru the resto and will never be able to drive a stick again. Today was to be it's maiden voyage out in public, but my buddy with a dealer plate didn't come thru for me. Looks like I'm either going to sell off this little gem or break down and register it myself.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Agree - even thought the TR8 ate its gearbox yesterday jumping in her for a drive reminded me how solid and tight a properly sorted car is compared to anything else in period.

OP
C

Cheapsnake

Jedi Trainee
Thanks for the thoughts guys. I too have had thoughts about selling the TR8, just so I didn't have to watch it deteriorate. It needed to be driven. However, my wife talked me out of it and I'm glad she did. These LBC's are a terrible disease and it's an unfortunate fact that the only treatment is more of the same. :wall:

Tom

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Your wife sounds like a keeper as well, Tom!

:thumbsup:

OP
C

Cheapsnake

Jedi Trainee
Mickey, I know I've been gone too long when I come back to find that you have sold your TR8. You haven't gone over to the dark side (MG) have you?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
The good news is that one of our own has the TR8 now - Brosky bought it from me.

GBRandy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Cheapsnake said:
And finally, the piece de resistance, the reason the TR8 is the TR8, that marvelous little V8 nestled under the hood and making the sweetest sounds this side of a Ferrari.

Well, in the Ferrari 355 anyway, it is the same size engine. Both are 3.5 liter V8's. The one the red car is 400 HP though. Both are quite fun drive. I love the TR8 as it sits with all its history and warts....

For the record, I saw the "Cheapsnake" a few weeks back and the black car was quite impressive. Might need one of my own someday :wink:

I too have thought about selling mine. But my new wheels showed up today so I'll wait a little longer. It's been 24 years now...what's a few more? :smile:

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I'm happy Mickey wanted to sell it. It has a warm spot in my garage next to the TR6 and seems to be very happy there. It looks a bit different now than when Mickey had it, but happiness seems to be the order of the day in the garage.

Attachments

• 28956.jpg
    28956.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 213
  • 28958.jpg
    28958.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 212
  • 28959.jpg
    28959.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 209
  • 28960.jpg
    28960.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 209
  • 28961.jpg
    28961.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 209

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
You done good, Paul! :thumbsup:

OP
C

Cheapsnake

Jedi Trainee
That is one purty car Paul.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Thanks guys. I did what I thought would improve a great car that I started with. Not for everyone's tastes, but it works for me.

And Mickey, a guy by the name of RhodySpit came up to me at an all British car show in Brookline this weekend and gave me an old Spitfire/GT6 magazine that had your picture in it, from winning 2nd place back in 2007 at a big Triumph event. He wanted me to have it to keep with the car, which I thought was very kind of him.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I still have some stuff from shows the car was in. Let me know if you want them.

OP
C

Cheapsnake

Jedi Trainee
Mickey Richaud said:
Your wife sounds like a keeper as well, Tom!

:thumbsup:

Yup, she's a keeper!
429168_344497328934728_1545562894_n.jpg

BTW Mickey, we picked that Cobra up in Dandridge, TN last November, right in your neck of the woods. Actually, that's our second, crashed the first.

Attachments

• 28970.jpg
    28970.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 180

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
We'll be retiring over that way in a few years. Can't wait to get there!

OP
C

Cheapsnake

Jedi Trainee
Mickey Richaud said:
Great! We'll keep a spot open for ya.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Cheapsnake said:
Mickey Richaud said:
Great! We'll keep a spot open for ya.

Was referring to E. Tennessee. Are you over there as well?