• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Just purchased 79 MGB

erik

Freshman Member
I picked up a low mileage (38K) 1979 MGB yesterday. It's carmine red (maroon) and is a blast. I'm in hog heaven! Anyway, I've already started to tinker and have a few questions. I apologize if these have been addressed before.

1. The car has panasport alloys. The manual says to put tire pressure at 21/26 front/rear which seems low to me. I also heard some tire squeal yesterday around a corner. Should I add more air or will that cause bad tire wear?

2. I just replaced many bulbs and most of them are now working. One side marker is pretty corroded and won't work. The reverse lights don't seem to work even though I replaced both bulbs. Any ideas?

3. What's a good manual. Bentley? Haynes?

I know I'll have many challenges ahead, but so far I'm thrilled with the car.

Thanks.
Erik

A

aerog

Congrats Erik:

(1) I use 21/26 with my stock LE alloy wheels - maybe someone has suggestions for your set-up.

(2) There's a switch on the transmission that turns the back-up lamps on, it engages when you move the shifter to the left. Chances are there's either a fuse blown, wire broken, or that switch is unplugged/not working.

(3) Both. The Bentley book is a reprint of the original owner's manual and the shop manual, it's full of excellent diagrams, specs, and repair info. The Haynes book is a little more concise and has the typical haynes step-by-step repair instructions. What I can't find in one book I can often find in the other, but I find the Bentley a little better.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Erik - congratulations on the MG. Want to share some details, like carburetion, history, maybe a pic?

I've found that in addition to the Bentley and Haynes, this forum as well as many other websites are fantastic sources, even for tiny details. Let me know if you want them, and I'll send you my list of bookmarks.

Tom

OP
E

erik

Freshman Member
The car is mostly original as far as I can tell. It still has the Zenith-Stromberg carb and all the emissions. I can't say that it's fast, but it's fun. I'm making my laundry list of things I want to buy for it, but I need to save a little money. I'm including a picture. My 3-year-old daughter repeated "woo hooooo" during the maiden voyage which included a 20 minute drive around the northern chicagoland burbs.

Attachments

• 87380-Picture141.jpg
    87380-Picture141.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 167

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
As long as you're getting the all important "woo hooooo" then I wouldn't be too concerned about how fast it is. Nice looking MG.

A

aerog

If it does the speedlimit and you're enjoying driving it then it's fast enough. I just did more than 2000 miles across a few states and back on the highways, kept up with traffic (heck, passed a lot of slower traffic) with no problems. 1977 stock except for twin SU-HIF4s and overdrive.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Tires have changed tremendously since I bought my '79 new...now, I inflat them to what they say on the sidewall