• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Just got back from the wrecking yard...

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
And there was a perfectly straight and restorable 1974 TR6! Original paint, no visible rust, fairly complete. what the heck, why is that car lined up for the crusher? Someone needs to save it.

mrsprite

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I can't remember how many old British, Italian, German and other neat cars I've seen in the junkyard waiting to be turned into soup cans. Most junkyards can't or won't sell you a car once it hits the yard, which is sad on many levels. California seems to be the worst state, thanks to the laws out there old cars are seen as a scurge.

Years ago, when I was very big into Fieros, I was out in central California and happened upon a junkyard that had several Fieros. One had 40K miles and looked pristine inside and out. At that time, I believe, the state of California was offering a $2000 credit for "clunkers" towards the purchase of a new car (or something to that effect) and sadly that car was worth more to scrap than to sell outright.

OP
bugedd

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Ya, they are going to get back to me. I know the car has little value, but its soooo straight!

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Years ago, when I was very big into Fieros, I was out in central California and happened upon a junkyard that had several Fieros. One had 40K miles and looked pristine inside and out. At that time, I believe, the state of California was offering a $2000 credit for "clunkers" towards the purchase of a new car (or something to that effect) and sadly that car was worth more to scrap than to sell outright. [/quote]

Unfortunately once California assigns the vin as a clunker it can never be put back in the system. You would actually have to buy a non clunker and transfer the bits and hope DMV isn't watching.

RickB

Yoda
equiprx said:
Unfortunately once California assigns the vin as a clunker it can never be put back in the system. You would actually have to buy a non clunker and transfer the bits and hope DMV isn't watching.

Can't you buy it, take it to a different state and license it there? Once it's licensed in the new state you (in theory) could then move it back to Ca.?

RickB

Yoda
Depends, full disclosure solves that problem I believe.

I was thinking more from a personal use standpoint.
If you found a car that was condemned by the state and you wanted to restore it and drive it this would be a way to legally do so.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'm sorry, if someone wants to restore a car from a junk yard it is there own business, the state is to to our bidding not the other way aroune.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
jlaird said:
I'm sorry, if someone wants to restore a car from a junk yard it is there own business, the state is to to our bidding not the other way aroune.

I heard that once, turned out to be a rumor :whistle:

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ask all of those that we kicked out, Rep. and Dem. alike when they stoped doing our business and did theirs and we not through yet. One day they will get the message.

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
RickB said:
equiprx said:

Can't you buy it, take it to a different state and license it there? Once it's licensed in the new state you (in theory) could then move it back to Ca.?

Nope. The program is, or was, Federal. The yard is actually REQUIRED to crush or shred the "car" within 6 months. They may not be resold or retitled as a vehicle in the US or anywhere else; the VIN is essentially dead. Certain parts may be resold, but the drivetrain may not. The whole point is to get them off the road forever.

There was a flood of Mercedes 190E/300E parts on eBay about a year ago; yards stripped them of everything usable and sold the bits for next to nothing. Sadly, the desirable and relatively rare 5-speed bits were all crushed. Ironic really, as they would help improve fuel economy if used to replace a slushie.

Thank your Congressperson.

RickB

Yoda
Oh right, cash for clunkers.
Sorry, very forgettable Fed program that was as useful as...

Didn't know we were talking about the cars that were taken in under that program, thought we were talking about generally condemned cars in the state of Kalifornia.

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
I have a 2002 Ford Explorer. That car actually gained value after cash for clunkers. Theree were so many turned in that the demand for the cars used outstripped the supply.

Bizarre it was.

RichBall

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
equiprx said:
Years ago, when I was very big into Fieros, I was out in central California and happened upon a junkyard that had several Fieros.

I don't think this person was talking about Cash for Clunker since he says it was years ago.

G

jlaird said:

X2, I'm with Mr. Laird.

Makes me want a car out of a Kalifornia junkyard now. :devilgrin:

I heard KA is a nice place, but I don't think they'd like me too much. :cowboy:

mrsprite

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
RichBall said:
I don't think this person was talking about Cash for Clunker since he says it was years ago.

I wasn't....I just used the term "clunker" to describe a car that was deemed unworthy of fixing up (whether from mechanical issues, emission issues or otherwise).

It's sad because California cars are generally rust free and are a great platform for someone to rebuild. I can understand it if the car was badly wrecked, but the Fiero I saw looked completely roadworthy. I imagine it did not pass the ever more stringent emissions requirements of CARB and was scrapped because it would have cost more to fix it than the $2000 the state paid to get it off the road.