• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Jet Hot header coating questions

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'm going to need to get my header coated, and was figuring on using Jet-Hot. Which of their coatings makes sense for my motor (1275 built by Hap)

https://www.jet-hot.com/coatingschart.html

Also, do I just coat the header and leave the exhaust as is? Never dealt with this before.

mccalebr

Jedi Knight
I used their Sterling finish over an LCB from Winner's Circle. Price for the coating was $165. Oh...turn around time was about 2 weeks.

Ray

Attachments

• 16337.jpg
    16337.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 209

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
Thats what I used on my Westfield LCB header and it looks as good as yours! I am only now getting to the wiring stage of my kit so I don't know how well it works to keep the heat down. Anyone have any 1st hand reports?

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Perfect. That's what I'll go for then. I'll give them a call Friday and get it set up.

Midget78

Jedi Trainee
I had a Pace Setter header put on my midget when I installed the Weber Carb conversion. The mechanic that did the work said he was going to use a high temp paint to give it some protection. I believe he used Jet Hot yet it all is coming off the header in flakes from the engine heat. I dont think he did any prep on the pipes to help the paint seat. I would scuff it up a bit with some sand paper first if I could do it again. Just a small suggestion so the results will last.

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
Jet coating is great, I have a Ford that I want to do the long tubes in. I understand a short time after you stop the motor you can lay your hand on headers without getting burned. plus they look good. and will last for a long time

R

RonMacPherson

Sweendog, you were misinformed. JetHot is a coating, needs to be put on by the pros. High heat paint is NOT jethot coating.

I have had pacesetters JetHot coated on my TR6 since 1990...

Midget78

Jedi Trainee
Thanks for correcting me Ron. Im sure that is what that mechanic told me unless I wasnt listening as always and just wanted the car back.

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
Midget78 said:
I had a Pace Setter header put on my midget when I installed the Weber Carb conversion. The mechanic that did the work said he was going to use a high temp paint to give it some protection. I believe he used Jet Hot yet it all is coming off the header in flakes from the engine heat. I dont think he did any prep on the pipes to help the paint seat. I would scuff it up a bit with some sand paper first if I could do it again. Just a small suggestion so the results will last.

Then what your mechanic used was NOT Jet-Hot! It's a ceramic baked on coating similar to powder coating and is not available to the public.

mccalebr

Jedi Knight
Looks is part of it.

The premise of the "Spridget Project" is a resto-mod of a mid-60s street racer with many current upgrade parts. That means I'll be running it with bare metal, painted only, floors so heat will be a problem. I do have the heavy rubber Spridget mats that can be easily dropped in or removed. JetHot coats inside and out; their web site has test results on heat dissipation.

Also, I expect the life of the header to be at lest double that of an untreated header...so the coating cost should be made back in not having to replace as often.

Ray

R

RonMacPherson

Double the life of an untreated "header"??

How about quadruple?

Most headers have shorter lifespan than factory exhaust manifolds. coated headers can last for decades(mines going into its second decade soon).. It was sent to Texas and came back to me in about two weeks. When I had it done, I remember, vaguely, the cost was in the 160 price range.

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
Drew,

I had my exhaust and intake headers Jet Coated in sterling on my B. They are beautiful and have held up exceptionally well. It's also dramatically cut down on heat.

Attachments

• 16384.jpg
    16384.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 75