• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Jensen-Healey

huck6

Jedi Trainee
I am just curious if anyone out there is enjoying a Jensen Healey and would care to share their thoughts on how it works as a daily driver.

Jim Weatherford

Jedi Trainee
Hello Huck;

I have '73 J-H Vin#13046, I don't drive it as a daily driver, but if 3 X a week or so counts, it's close. I live in Anaheim, Southern California, so for the most part it nice weather.

I don't drive it when raining if I can avoid it, but that's my choice. I didn't drive my Cobra replica in the rain either. I think it my concern for the awful driving habits of the drivers here in California, maybe everywhere, but when it rains here, they simply loose their collective minds.

My car is a great example of a late Mk.I and is in excellent condition. I am looking for another J-H to build a vintage racer. I do like the little car, it is a blast to drive.

I'm a professional bass singer... my plate is: "I SNG LOW", just as an aside.

Contact me directly at jim(at)jimsgems.com and I'll send you a photo or two if you wish. Good hunting for the J-H, they are wonderful little cars and greatly unknown and even somewhat rare. I say rare because there were only approx. 10,500 ever built and approx. 1,500 registered and on the road today. This according to the Jensen Healey Preservation Society here in Irvine CA.

www.jhps.com Come in and join in the fun. Jim

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
I haven't used mine as a daily driver for quite a few years but there are a number of guys in the club that do. I live in Southern California so the weather is generally mild with relatively little rain, pretty ideal for a convertible with a fairly useless heater and no air conditioning.

JH's do tend to rust out. Do they salt the roads in Flagstaff when it snows? If so I would really try to avoid driving a JH under those conditions. Actually, I try to avoid snow in general when driving mine. I've done it but I can say it felt good. You also get a lot more rain than we do so you would need to be vigilant to avoid the usual rust spots.

As with any 30 year old vehicle an awful lot would depend on the particular car and how well it had been maintained. Many a JH horror story is easily traceable to a DPO who simply didn't bother with routine service.

PC.

OP
huck6

huck6

Jedi Trainee
Thanks for the responses. My dream is to one day use a Jensen-Healey or Spit for a summer car and a mini for winter.

Dana McPeek

Freshman Member
I just bought my second JH, a '73 Mk1, last week. Not intended to be my daily driver, but she will collect no dust while I own her.

I found her on ebay
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2473643913
and negotiated with the owner after the reserve was not met.

Immediately drove her from San Jose to San diego via Hwy 1 and Big Sur. (didn't see much scenery for some reason...)

Looking forward to meeting with other owners and taking her to meets...

Dana

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Prices seem affordable for these cars. Is it time to buy? Is one JH better (more valauble or maybe more rare) than another? I am not real familiar with models and years etc.

OP
huck6

huck6

Jedi Trainee
I had dreamed of that very same JH when I saw it on the JH Preservation Society classified pages. Good luck with it, she looks a real bueat!

pmenhusen

Jedi Trainee
According to the Sports Car Market Magazine Pocket Price Guide, all convertibles ('72-'76) are the same value ($5000-$7000). The GT ('76 only) is $4000-$6000. They give it a poor rating as an investment (but buying a sports car as an investment is like buying Playboy for the articles, IMHO). The potential for appreciation on these cars was lower than that listed for MG's, Triumphs, and Austin-Healeys. I hope that none of you J-H enthusiasts are offended, as I personally have always liked the cars.

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bruce Bowker:
Prices seem affordable for these cars. Is it time to buy? Is one JH better (more valauble or maybe more rare) than another? I am not real familiar with models and years etc.<hr></blockquote>

Is it time to buy a Jensen Healey? IMHO any time is the right time. It's not because prices are likely to go up (they probably won't). It's because they're a lot of fun and the sooner you get into one the sooner you'll have the fun. They are very reasonably priced, fairly easy to work on and parts availability is quite good considering how unusual they are.

The monetary value of anything, whether it's an old car, new car, real estate, fine wine, fine art or a dumpster of steer manure is exactly what somebody is willing to pay for it. Period. Nothing more, nothing less.

Different people are willing to pay for different things. Those who value reliability and convenience buy metallic dirt brown Toyotas. Those who value pennies buy Hyundai econoboxes. Those who value speed buy sports cars. People who are willing to pay big bucks for classic cars are buying a piece of history that comes in a wrapper of timeless style.

For many people Austin Healeys, MGs, Triumphs and such stir up fond memories of earlier times and good fun. While the JH may be faster and more technologically advanced than most comparable LBCs it is for the most part unknown. Too few were on the streets to provide a subconscious cultural identity. The fact that they debuted on the eve of Watergate, the energy crisis and Disco consigned them to historical purgatory.

It doesn't particularly bother me that JHs are inexpensive or that people who don't know them don't expect them to appreciate. I drive mine for fun. If I were to throw it off a cliff I'd be out less cash than one year's depreciation on a lot of new cars. If a truck eats it I can afford to buy another one.

For anyone thinking of buying one the pricing guides are only rough approximations. There just aren't enough of them to make generalizations. Each car is individually different and you need to weigh its strengths and weaknesses and decide what that car is worth to you.

Even in production each car was unique but in general terms they can be classified into three and a half different versions, Mark I, Mark II (early and late) and JH-5. Production dates are a matter of historical confusion and there was quite a bit of overlap but the approximate production dates (not necessarily model years) were Mark I: 72-73, early Mark II: 73-74, later Mark II: 74½ -75 and JH-5: 75-76

The Mark I cars were a bit more primitive than later models but a nice one would certainly be a better buy than a beat up Mark II or JH-5. Early Mark II cars come with steel bumpers and 4-sp gearboxes. Later Mark II cars have rubber bumpers and 5-sp boxes. The JH-5 is the most refined version but also came with catalytic converters.

If I were looking for one today my preference would be a steel bumpered Mark II (like the one I have now) but really I'd go for any car that was in the best shape I could afford.

PC.

driving.gif

[ 04-30-2004: Message edited by: PC ]</p>

Dana McPeek

Freshman Member
Hi all!

I have picked up my second JH, which will be selling after I finish it's restoration. It will be a great driver car with Dellorto carbs, 2.2 cams, replaced transmission, new interior and VERY spruced up.

You can see both my Jensen Healeys at:
https://home.earthlink.net/~jensenhealey

Great Driving!
Dana

Patton

Jedi Warrior
This JH advertized in the Houston Craigslist last month. It may still be there. I also will include the ad for the JH hardtop that was advertized a couple of weeks ago
---------------------------------------------------------
1975 Jensen Healey For Sale - $3500
Reply to: sale-112397230@craigslist.org
Date: 2005-11-19, 11:54AM CST

I am selling my very cool, quick, and somewhat rare 1975 Jensen Healey. The car has the desirable 5-speed transmission mated to the Lotus 904 slant-4 engine. I bought this car about 5 years ago. I put a rebuilt engine into it when I purchased it since the original engine had been overheated by the previous owner and then parked. The new engine is the highlight of this car as it is quite peppy and has only had synthetic lubricants in it. It has dual Stromberg carberetors with K&N filters on them. The original lucas fuel pump has been replaced by an electric aftermarket pump (more reliable).

The car is not a show-car by any means. The PO had the car painted with a very thick Maaco-style paint job. It looks great from 10 feet or when the car is moving, but it is not a good paint job. There are some spots where the job is showing some cracking. However, the previous owner did have some rust repaired...but with fiberglass. The passenger floorboard is almost completely fiberglass and the front and rear sills on the car appear to be repaired as well...possibly with fiberglass. Since I've had the car, I've treated all the floorboards and the trunk floorboard with POR-15, then shot over that with a truck bed coating to arrest the rust. There are some rust perforations in the driver footwell as well as in the trunk.

The car has a new exhaust system, and since it is 1974, it is smog-exempt. The car can be registered in most states as a classic car, which decreases your taxes on the vehicle and you can also get classic car insurance for it, which is very inexpensive.

I replaced the anemic stock fan with a dual-electric fan system behind the radiator. They are fused and operated by relays via a switch on the dashboard. I've driven the car in Texas heat regularly with no overheating issues.

The seats in the car have seat covers...the original seats are pretty shot and can use a recovering. The dash has a dash-cap on it...the original dash underneath is cracked. The fuel gauge doesn't work (I have a dipstick I keep behind the seats to check the fuel level). The car uses unleaded gas.

The VIN number for the car is 20084. It has a clear title.

I've been a member of the Jensen Healey Preservation Society (www.jensenhealey.com) during my ownership so the vehicle comes with a stack of the monthly newsletters along with a couple of shop manuals. It also includes a rare factory hard-top in very good condition.

More photos can be found at https://www.flickr.com/photos/53084288@N00/sets/1398859/
This item has been posted by-owner.

this is in or around The Woodlands

no -- it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
----------------------------------------------------

Jensen Healey FACTORY Hard Top - $150
Reply to: sale-118233745@craigslist.org
Date: 2005-12-14, 4:55PM CST

Jensen Healey factory hard top for all models of the early 70's Jensen Healey convertible. The factory hard top can be id'd by the stainless triangular pieces just aft of the windows, the glass rear window with defroster and the cutout for the fuel filler cap. This item is in great shape. It does not come with the original mounting hardware. I will not ship this item - buyer must pick it up.
this is in or around Spring

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
There's a guy in my local club who has 2 of them...when you take one out for a ride, its easy to see why people like them...if I could find a solid one at the right price, I might bring it home.

MGA Steve

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
According to the Sports Car Market Magazine Pocket Price Guide, all convertibles ('72-'76) are the same value ($5000-$7000). The GT ('76 only) is $4000-$6000.

[/ QUOTE ] Sportscar Warehouse in Arlington, Texas, has a 1974 J-H on their Website for $7500 (www.sportscarwarehouse.com). One of their young mechanics was rebuilding it himself at the shop in his spare time/weekends when I was there buying my TR8 in 2004. He was installing a new interior at that time.

It has been on the Website for awhile, so he may be unwilling to negotiate on the price. But, you never know until you make an offer. Arlington is only 10 miles from D-FW Airport, so it is an easy place to get to by airport van if you are interested in looking at it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Dana McPeek

Freshman Member
'74 Jensen Healey for sale in San Diego

Gentlemen,

I have been working on my '74 JH "Rescue Mission". I have swaped in a nice transmission, replaced the rear main seal (won't leak for another... 3 months?), replaced the Master Cyl, cleaned/tuned it up.

Most of the pictures in the link below are of the day I bought it, and you can see that he looked great then. Has a canvas top. Runs better now. Will install new interior and trunk carpet kits in the next few weeks, apply a lot of TLSC and he will go on the market.

If you have any interest, please contact me.

Dana McPeek

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Re: '74 Jensen Healey for sale in San Diego

There's an old JH in a car lot near me - crap paint job hiding no telling what - appears to be last year...just haven't found anybody home yet..sign says to telephone another lot but nobody answers....& there's another a few miles outside town in another car lot it looks even worse!

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
Re: '74 Jensen Healey for sale in San Diego

Dana - lovely cars! I love Jensen Healeys - sadly I'm not in the market right now but hopefully some day.