• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Jaguar XJS factory alarm system.

m030272

Freshman Member
I am trying to fint the back-up battery location in a 1993 XJS. The alarm has failed and I presently have the alarm system by-passed. I have the shop manuals but there is no information in them for the location of the alarm electronics or the back-up battery. I am told that it might be in one of the inner wheel wells, but I don't want to do a frme-off just to find the battery.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Gonna move this to the Jaguar Forum - I imagine you'll get more help there...

...unless this really IS a joke! :wink:

OP
M

m030272

Freshman Member
No, it's not funny at all. I am new to this site and I am having trouble navigating. Thanks for the reply.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
WELCOME!

What part of the Bayou State are you from? I'm from Shreveport, New Orleans, Baton Rouge, and Monroe! (Mostly Shreveport and N.O., though.)

Were you at the N.O. show this weekend? We missed it this year...

OP
M

m030272

Freshman Member
Yes I was. Someone talked me into exhibiting my car, a 1993 Jag XJS. I was totally unprepared (Car was semi dirty) as I was just going to the show to meet up with some friends.

From what I gathered, they didn't have as many cars as usual however I was entrant Number 100. The had a good cross section of cars there, Mini's, TR's, MG's both the older TF's, MGA's and MGB's. I was quite surprised that I did not see a single Morris Minor.

I am from the north shore of Lake Ponchatrain in Mandeville.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Well, again, welcome, and I hope someone will chime in with some info regarding your alarm.

Also, I hope to make the show next year. Still have relatives in N.O., and the wife grew up there, so we try to get down as often as possible. Would've made it this year, but have an upcoming trip to Honduras, and ran out of time (and funds!).

Mickey

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
m030272 said:
Yes I was. Someone talked me into exhibiting my car, a 1993 Jag XJS. I was totally unprepared (Car was semi dirty) as I was just going to the show to meet up with some friends.

From what I gathered, they didn't have as many cars as usual however I was entrant Number 100. The had a good cross section of cars there, Mini's, TR's, MG's both the older TF's, MGA's and MGB's. I was quite surprised that I did not see a single Morris Minor.

I am from the north shore of Lake Ponchatrain in Mandeville.
Welcome - I used to know that area well, Mandeville...its the home of the original "Another Broken Egg" - great breakfast restaurant - in a little old house down in the older section right off the causeway bridge (as I remember).

Michael J.

Jedi Warrior
There must have been a rash of XJS alarm system back-up battery problems close to carshow time. I also was there at the show in New Orleans and talked to two other guys with alarm system problems.

Is your car a convertible or a coupe? the installation is different.

According to the literature for JAG 590 Alarm Kit XJS Convertible 1990 and up, The Back-up battery manufacturer part number is 209-4271 and Jaguar P/N for the battery is DAC 6170.

These numbers are for Alarm Kit 19000 Code System.

Look on the inside of the left rear trim panel that the seat belt passes through that covers the left side of the top mechanism.

You can tell for sure if it is located there if you look down along the top mechanism with the top down and see a small diameter black wire in amoungst the folded top bows. That is the alarm antenna.

The alarm module has the growler face on it. The back-up battery is mounted toward the front of the car. These units appear to be bounted on the end of the cargo box.

If you have the rear seat in a convertible, look under the battery cover for these units. The top hydraulic pump and the relays for the rear windows were relocated there when the rear seat was added.

What you are looking for should be in one of those two places.

Good Luck!

OP
M

m030272

Freshman Member
One of the guys at the show sent me some literature on the alarm system installation. I was overjoyed and proceeded to rip out the storage box. Alas, to my dismay there was not an alarm system but rather a control for the transmission. Lo there was weeping and gnashing of teeth.]

This system must have been dealer installed accounting for the non standard way of installation. I will keep looking.

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
To the best of my meager knowledge, all the face-lift security ECUs were installed in the trunk, just in front of the right tail light. You will need to remove the liner to find the black box. If you need a diagram of the location of all the ECUs, relays and fuses let me know and I can send you the files.

Michael J.

Jedi Warrior
Several of the cars at the show had the antenna wire for the alarm module visible in the L/H Top bow well amoung the top linkage. You could see it as a thin black wire about 8" long amoung the top bow linkage. Put the top down and look in the opening where the top bows come up through the trim panel to see if a thin black wire is seen.

If so, take the screws that secure the trim piece that covers the top linkage on the left side out and see if the trim panel has the module mounted to the inside of the trim panel. It has to be somewhere that the module antena can receive the signal from the "clicker".

OP
M

m030272

Freshman Member
I will also look there. I used to get through your part of the state fairly frequently on the way to Lake Charles or Houston, but haven't been that way lately.