• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Jaeger Speedometer repair

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Anyone know if Jaeger instruments is still in business? I need a part for my 55 TF speedometer and am wondering where, if possible, I can get the parts. I know how to repair instruments and have the tools to do so, I just need a parts supplier or an old junk 1525 speedo with the little fiber gears in good condition. Someone ran the car with the speedo frozen and it was frozen so hard it twisted the speedo cable in half. PJ

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Here's a photo of the striped gears that I need in my speedometer, Yellow arrows, due to their shafts being frozen. They run the cams, Green arrows, that turns the numbers. The blue arrows shows the shaft that was frozen solid and in turn caused the cable to twist in half. About 4 hours of soaking in a penetrating oil and a lot of careful working back and forth, the shaft finally freed up and came out. PJ

55TFSpeedometer.jpg

dklawson

Yoda
British Jaeger was/is part of Smiths. You are likely to find that any of the "big name" gauge places can repair your speedometer (Nisonger, APT (gaugeguys.com), Moma, Palo Alto Speedometer,etc). Of course, you could also look for the turns per mile number on the face of your gauge and consider buying a later instrument from say an MGB with the same TPM number. You're likely to find the gears you need are still the same. Very little internal re-design was done over the years.

If you haven't already printed a copy of it, the PDF below by Anthony Rhodes is an invaluable document to have at hand when working on speedos and mechanical tachs.
https://triumph.daveola.com/NOTES/Speedo_Repair.pdf

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
dklawson said:
British Jaeger was/is part of Smiths. You are likely to find that any of the "big name" gauge places can repair your speedometer (Nisonger, APT (gaugeguys.com), Moma, Palo Alto Speedometer,etc). Of course, you could also look for the turns per mile number on the face of your gauge and consider buying a later instrument from say an MGB with the same TPM number. You're likely to find the gears you need are still the same. Very little internal re-design was done over the years.

If you haven't already printed a copy of it, the PDF below by Anthony Rhodes is an invaluable document to have at hand when working on speedos and mechanical tachs.
https://triumph.daveola.com/NOTES/Speedo_Repair.pdf

Doug, I have three MGB speedometers, two in the early 70s and one late model. I never thought that anything in them would work in the TF instrument. I'll check them out. Thanks, it's worth a try. PJ

dklawson

Yoda
There are no guarantees but it's worth looking to see if the MGB cores have suitable parts for your TF. Even if dimensionally the parts look OK, be sure to count the teeth on the gears that drive the odometer pawls. Those are components that did change over the years to address the different turns-per-mile calibrations. Obviously you'll want the same number of teeth or the odometer accuracy will be lost.