• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Jacking problems....

G

I'll bet no one has ever asked this question before.
How do you guys jack up your TR6. I have always lifted the front first using the cross member in front of the engine. This piece of iron is not that stout and repeated jacking off it has caused a slight dent in the middle. (no, it's not rusted out) So, I have resorted to placing a foot long piece of 2X4 across to the side rails to get a better purchase. Now, with the new tires, I have dropped the car over 1/4 inch and my trusty wood won't fit. The car is really LOW. Have to resort to a piece of 3/4 plywood. Am using a sturdy American-made Fleet jack. Anyone ever welded a quarter inch plate in this area to stengthen up my jacking spot?

Bill
(with a post like this, you might think I have nothing better to do tonight, tired of CNN)

Rick O.

Jedi Trainee
Depends on what I want to do. If it's just to access beneath the engine (oil change), I drive up ramps. If I need the front wheels off the ground, I jack from the forward side chassis intersections. A bit more work, but I don't like the idea of jacking under the rad protection plate for the reason you mention.

If I need the rear wheels up, I jack a 4 x 4 spanning the rear frame rails close to the diff (never jack the diff itself). This may not work with a stock exhaust though (mine isn't).

To take the car up off all fours, I jack from the rearward side chassis intersections which lifts the entire side of the car. Place jackstands and repeat on the other side. Up off all fours in two lifts.

I've rimmed my jack plate with thick rubber hose to protect the jacking points on the car.

Rick O.

Eric

Jedi Warrior
Cut a bevel in a couple of 2 x 6's or 2 x 8's, drive the car up onto them and voila - enough room for the jack.

OP
G

Why didn't I think of that? Actually a good idea. Tried to load her on a U-Haul auto transport today for the New Orleans car show tomorrow, couldn't make it past the ramp, one I've used many times before. The new competition rear springs (lower) and new tires (shorter) has my big fat mufflers dragging. Just was being lazy and didn't want to re-detail for the show.

Bill