• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

jack for BJ7

Roberte

I am attempting to find a jack for use with an Austin Healey. The ones I've found available at auto parts stores have short handles. I think a scissors jack might be the type to use but with a long handle.

I would appreciate anyone having experience/ recommendations on NAME, TYPE OF JACK, and WHERE IT MIGHT BE PURCHASED informing me.

Thank you,

Robert

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Robert,

You're on the right track. A scissor jack that collapses to a very low height is what you need. An especially long handle should not be necessary. The frame rails - where you will want to lift the car - are not that far from the sides of the car. That said, longer is better than shorter.

These should be available at most larger auto parts outlets. If you like the convenience of having things shipped right to your door, try amazon.com.

Country flag
If you can find one, I recommend getting the geared type of scissor jack. These used to be common but the one company making them apparently sold out and the new ones are hard to find (I got a second one on eBay). Without gearing, raising even a light car like a Healey is a real pain. I bought one of the ungeared type thinking it would work on my BJ8, but it was all but impossible to lift the car--if you want it come by my house and it's yours. The electric scissor jacks look intriguing, but I don't have the space in the boot and the reviews are mixed.

CanberraBJ8

Jedi Trainee
I bought a very cheap scissor jack on Ebay from Asia. Its no gem but its quite low when collapsed - only 85mm. All the other ones I could find here were 110mm. I have read though that the aluminium jacks from 944 Porsches are good (but they have proved hard to find, and expensive when you do. Likewise the jack from a 996 porsche is great - but the same story as the 944 - pricey.

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
A friend told me a few years ago that the thing to look for is the scissor jack from a Nissan 300ZX as they are aluminium.
I optimistically went to a breakers yard but couldn't find a 300ZX. I did find a 280ZX with a complete, unused toolkit in the boot (trunk). It included a steel jack, collapsible wheel chocks and a tube spanner. The tube spanner is no use as it is metric but the jack, which is 110mm high (about 4.5") and the chocks have been in my Healey toolkit ever since. I've had to use the jack so I can confirm that it will fit under the car with a flat tyre. The handle is short but quite long enough for the purpose & takes little room in the Healey 'luggage compartment'.

andrea

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Tanks to your BCF forum discussion
I can acquire one Boxster jack (all Aluminium) for my 100/6
on e bay UK (nearest to me)for GBP40 IMGP2091.jpg

CanberraBJ8

Jedi Trainee
Nice one! Its the same as for the 996.

There are a couple more in the UK that I would bid on - but the postage they want to charge to Australia is twice the cost of the jack :nightmare:

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
We use the late Porsche 944 aluminum jack for our Porsche 356's. They are light and compact yet lift high enough for real use. Here is something I do to make them a little more user friendly. I take a used (or new) rubber hockey puck and mill out a rectangle which allows it to be pressed onto the center nub of the jack giving a non-marring surface that is also wider and more stable. I have offered this service for our 356 club members free of charge as long as they supply the hockey puck and pay all the shipping. If anyone here is wanting this also for their Porsche 944 jack, I am extending this offer here as well. PM me for details. I am enclosing some pictures of the jack and hockey puck.
JIM

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 105
  • hockey puck 001.jpg
    hockey puck 001.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 104
  • hockey puck 004.jpg
    hockey puck 004.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 98

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Great idea, thanks for the pictures !

Hans

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
We use the late Porsche 944 aluminum jack for our Porsche 356's. They are light and compact yet lift high enough for real use. Here is something I do to make them a little more user friendly. I take a used (or new) rubber hockey puck and mill out a rectangle which allows it to be pressed onto the center nub of the jack giving a non-marring surface that is also wider and more stable. I have offered this service for our 356 club members free of charge as long as they supply the hockey puck and pay all the shipping. If anyone here is wanting this also for their Porsche 944 jack, I am extending this offer here as well. PM me for details. I am enclosing some pictures of the jack and hockey puck.
JIM

Here's the puck Jim (Healeyblue) machined for my Harbor Freight scissors jack - nice work!:
JackPuck.JPG