• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

"it works for me"

why

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
"it works for me"

"it works for me" was used in the discussion of teflon tape or not in brake fittings. I read that just after a poster saying "being shot down" which may have referred to my comment on carb #3 fire about the simple task of checking float bowl, gas line leak, and jet assembly as being a first check before doing serious engine innards analysis as suggested by the poster.
Short of a true statistical analysis of controlled tests, many of these controversies including what type of brake fluid to use much less flushing every 2 years are simply our reporting on our experiences. 4 UK oldie cars for over 20 years and have never changed brake fluid, after 15 years at earliest occassional slight leak noticed by dampness on tire, and fluid added to bleed that specific rebuild. 4daily drivers kept about7 yrs, 80,000 miles never a drop of brake fluid needed ('06 Sti still rockhard Brembo feel).
I have always taken various comments as folks reporting on their own best guesses and own experiences with no intention to "shoot people down." Some posts have been godsend of fix for something I have spent years trying to sort out, and others of no value, but always taken with posters best of intentions. Sorry, I never intended to shoot anyone down.

HEALEYJAG

Jedi Warrior
Re: "it works for me"

Had that happen to me once on a reccomendation that I had made...got ripped for my comments....I just blew it off ....it was a "how dare you question my authority".....kinda shocked me at the time....still think my comment was the right approach to the guy's problem.

Personnally I like varied opinions from which I can choose...speaking from experience usually its the simplest solution.

Pete

davidb

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Re: "it works for me"

Just got back from being away and was catching up on all the good wisdom from the BCF and noticed this topic.

I too was put on the rack for a seemingly innocent comment on paint several years ago. It hurts, because you are trying to be helpful and some bozo who fails to understand simple language decides to get into a p***ing contest.

As I've stated in the past this is a great forum supported by an impressive group of intelligent and passionate individuals from across the globe. How many websites can boast that achievement?... and hats off to Basil and the tech moderators who keep the ball rolling.

I agree with the the two comments already posted. I've learned a lot from the guys who take the time and have the patience to provide their experiences, photos and expertise, sometimes over and over again.

Negative personal comments add nothing to the discussion, and can act as a deterrent to those whose opinions might otherwise be helpful.

Apologies for the sermon.

Cheers
DB