• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Is This BE Really Worth 32.5K?

D

Deleted member 8987

Like any "custom" job, the value the builder sets is usually far, far off from what anyone else would pay, UNLESS you find that ONE OTHER PERSON in the entire world who holds your ideas on customization.

Let's say you wanted a "stock" appearing BE.

How much work?

Windscreen.
Paint.
Front bumpers.
Interior?
Mirrors.
Steering wheel.

I don't know....does the arse look hiked up a bit to you?

https://i.ebayimg.com/07/!Bge81sgCGk~$(KGrHqQH-DwEsMLu09G1BLFdWNjtkw~~_35.JPG

https://i.ebayimg.com/24/!Bge9!1Q!mk~$(KGrHqIH-C4EsL!OON5-BLFdWyh)Ew~~_35.JPG

D

Deleted member 8987

Don't get me wrong.
I'd drive it.
Not for anything close to the appraised value, and probably not with the checkered flag motifs, but I'd drive it.

BRG and leave the screens.

tomshobby

Yoda
Like the $600,000 Healey I saw this summer or the $15,000,000 GT Ford that a fellow in Florida purchased this summer from a guy about 20 miles from me, it is truly in the eye of the purchaser. But then we could get all the way down to my level at $800 for my Midget.

davester

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
The screens seem especially silly to me, but each to their own.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess (I'm currently trying to talk everyone in my family into liking Fiat X 1/9s for example, I've always wanted one and well, it's a disease, everyone thinks they are ugly...I digress).
I like silver and red but the graphics distract from the lines of the body and it's the all about the BE lines. The Brooklands look cool but seem horribly impractical for even moderate usage. What's up with the "Look alike" carbs? Did he go from HS1 to HS2 or something? I don't get that.
Yeah, I can tell you your car is worth $50,000 too, doesn't make it so.
It's worth what the market says a very nice driver level BE is worth. This one, probably 8K? I think selling prices on Ebay are pretty decent indicators of current market value.

G

$800 Spridget?!?!?!?!?

WHERE ???????

I like the 1/9's but they're 1/9th the car.

15,000,000 for a GT40? I knew they brought $$$, but that seems a "little" high to me.

With enough medication, I MIGHT be able to live with the graffics, but I'd need a real windscreen and some Panasports. Like TOC said, I'd drive it, but not for that kinda money.

I just don't dig the screens on these cars, no more than I'd like a Spridget screen on a TD/F.

TEHO

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
I'm guessing the reserve will not be met. I'd wager the bids will not reach
$10K.
Nice enough BE and seems a lot of thought went into the final design but
it will take the right buyer to get it over $10K.
Maybe if it was a hot rod 948 and a street racer set up but it appears to be a poser
as it is set up now.
Neat car but not $32K IMHO.

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hmmm. Let's see. Start with a solid bugeye chassis that needs no rust repair. Price for that is about $4 to 5K tops. Build and engine. $1 to 2K tops. Strip the body and give it a crazy paint job. $10K tops. Buy a nice interior kit and install same. $2K tops. Money for stuff that was missing, plating, brakes, upgrades and general labor. $5K. Grand total, $24K, tops.

Am I wrong?

D

Deleted member 8987

You forgot to deduct $15K for loss of originality.....

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I don't want to turn this into a "let's bash this car thread", but I spotted some things that would concern me.. Not the least of which is the fact that they filled in the windscreen mount locations making it extremely hard to switch back.
Lets just say that even though it looks nice, I personally, would give 15,000 for a nice original long before I would give 8,000 for this one.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Legal Bill said:
Hmmm. Let's see. Start with a solid bugeye chassis that needs no rust repair. Price for that is about $4 to 5K tops. Build and engine. $1 to 2K tops. Strip the body and give it a crazy paint job. $10K tops. Buy a nice interior kit and install same. $2K tops. Money for stuff that was missing, plating, brakes, upgrades and general labor. $5K. Grand total, $24K, tops.

Am I wrong?

What it cost to build has no relevance to its value though.

G

tomshobby said:
kellysguy said:
15,000,000 for a GT40? I knew they brought $$$, but that seems a "little" high to me.

When they took 1st, 2nd, and 3rd at Le mans it was the one that took 1st.

That makes a little more sense. I wonder how much valve was "lost" for second and third place?

It's shame that the same car would be considered "less than" givin it's finishing spot. Kinda like my buddy paying $5,000 for a Rodchester Q Jet......just because it had the "proper" numbers stamped in it. Nothing else was different.

64rocksprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Anyone else notice that its missing the heater fan??
I'd think a car appraised at $32K..might at least have all its pieces!

tomshobby

Yoda
kellysguy said:
tomshobby said:
kellysguy said:

When they took 1st, 2nd, and 3rd at Le mans it was the one that took 1st.

That makes a little more sense. I wonder how much valve was "lost" for second and third place?

It's shame that the same car would be considered "less than" givin it's finishing spot. Kinda like my buddy paying $5,000 for a Rodchester Q Jet......just because it had the "proper" numbers stamped in it. Nothing else was different.

It also happened that both of these guys spend that kind of money easier than when I bought my Midget.

V

vagt6

Let us not forget: "worth" in these cases is directly related to wealth.

"A fool and his money shall soon part."

'nuff said. :yesnod: