• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Is this a MK VII a MK VIII or a MK IX?

Michael J.

Jedi Warrior
Data plate lists the following:

Chassis 792902 BW

Body N 008573

Engine NC 8645-9

Owner claims that the car was sold to him as a 1959 MK IX. Rear end is not stock. Car was originally an automatic transmission. Car has an inline chevy 6 and auto transmission and what might be a Ford rear end. No power steering.

Chrome mounting holes do not have MK IX side trim and the windshield is missing, but the lip for the whindshield appears to be peaked at the bottom as might be expected for a MK VII.

I have a photo of the windshield opening, but can't figure out how to add it.

AlanT

Jedi Trainee
With an 'NC' engine it should be a IX. If it has a one piece windscreen and disc brakes it is a MKIX.... Or Was.

Alan T

PhilW

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
The data plate is for a MK9. The windshield for the MK9 was a one piece, so it should not have a peak at the bottom (or top). Data plates were often swapped around when titles are non-existent. As Alan said, disc brakes are a give-away.

Phil.

OP
M

Michael J.

Jedi Warrior
It has disc brakes in the front for sure. What did the MK VIII have?

It also has turn signals just above the bumper on each side on the bulbous part of the front fenders. I guess that rules out it being a MK VII.

No "dividing Chrome as on MK VIII & IX. But that could have been removed and the mounting holes filled in.

I understand that the grill is different between the VII & VIII & IX. What is different? Of course no way to tell that the grill is original either.

The car has a ford 9" rear end in place of the original Sailbury differential, so I can't tell from the rear brakes.

Since the windshield is missing, the "Peak" may be a deformed part of the lip that holds the windshield rubber seal.

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
Mark 7 has a two piece windshield, 4 wheel drum brakes,and a bench seat if auto trans. Mark 8 had the chrome, and still drums, and the 9 has the chrome trim, auto selector on the column, and 4 wheel discs. The mark 7 grille has a "cats head" with wings as the top of the grille/front of the hood. The 9 has a "leaper" on the hood, and a chrome strip as the hood leading edge.I think that the 8 was similar to the 9 in that respect. The 7 has TR3/MGA style tail light lenses on specific plinths, and the 9 has its own tail lights. I have no idea what tail lights the 8 had.