• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Is it easy to convert a '69 US dash to a pre-67?

58Custom

Jedi Warrior
I kind of like the look of the mid-60s dash rather than the US padded dash. I'm wondering how hard it is to convert to the earlier dash. I tried the search but I found nothing. Maybe my terms were too vague but the same returns kept coming up. Anyways, is this easily done? From pictures it looks like the area between the speedo & tack above the steering column might have to be widened to accept the US telescoping column.

Anyone done this?

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
I just held a '65 dash up to a '76 dash and see that they do NOT mount to the body the same ('65 bolts go vertical, '76 bolts go horizontal) and it looks like the reason that they went to the 3" gauges was that the 4" ones won't fit if you clear away for the bigger column and switches. Not insurmountable obstacles but worth mentioning.
BillM

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
And Bill M has as pre'68 Dash in his stash of parts he wants to not move.

OP
58Custom

58Custom

Jedi Warrior
The dashes are common enough. I just don't want to get another piece of a car if I'm not gonna be able to use it.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Someone needs to discuss how you handle the Key Lock on the '69 Column

OP
58Custom

58Custom

Jedi Warrior
Jim_Gruber said:
Someone needs to discuss how you handle the Key Lock on the '69 Column

Can't it be retained and the hole in the dash repurposed?

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I know it's possible to cut off the lock cylinder with a Dremel tool and disable the steering wheel lock? not something to worry about on a '69. I've read it can be done, someone will post the details. Bill M has a 65 dash for sale in his stash on Craig's List for $20.00 NFI on my part.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
RickB has already said that he wants that dash (for his '72) so I guess that he gets to figure this out!! :smile:
BillM

RickB

Yoda
Another adventure - there is something well, truly and deeply wrong with all of us!

:devilgrin:

OP
58Custom

58Custom

Jedi Warrior
RickB said:
Another adventure - there is something well, truly and deeply wrong with all of us!

I am a glass half-full guy. I believe it speaks well of us to embark on such adventures to blaze new trails in frustration and curse-weaving for the vicarious edification of the internet audience.

OP
58Custom

58Custom

Jedi Warrior
Jim_Gruber said:
I know it's possible to cut off the lock cylinder with a Dremel tool and disable the steering wheel lock? not something to worry about on a '69. I've read it can be done, someone will post the details. Bill M has a 65 dash for sale in his stash on Craig's List for $20.00 NFI on my part.
Why can't the column lock and the older dash peacefully coexist? It seems clear that the "bubble dash" will have to be modified to fit the "US dash" steering column bezel as indicated by the two different apetures shown in the pix below. What I am not clear on is alignment. It looks like the right side is already very close to the right side gauge in the bubble dash. Yes, the new term is bubble dash. Use it wisely. You're welcome.

SPM-094.gif

SPM-093.gif

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
58Custom said:
Why can't the column lock and the older dash peacefully coexist?

<drips with sarcasm> Why can't we all just get along?! Cause that's not the way it is in the real world commie, liberal peacenik!
grin.gif

Bubble dash - I like it! next you'll want airbags

RickB

Yoda
JPSmit said:
58Custom said:
Why can't the column lock and the older dash peacefully coexist?

<drips with sarcasm> Why can't we all just get along?! Cause that's not the way it is in the real world commie, liberal peacenik!
grin.gif

Bubble dash - I like it! next you'll want airbags

Don't get ahead of yourself, first you will want a water tight cabin...

Except for the safety factor - why not just use an early steering column?
Remember, our car is being built from a bare shell of an RWA Midget.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Only because you will have a bigger hole in the firewall to plug- that and your 16 YO son will be driving it and a safety-column is safer.
BillM

RickB

Yoda
Well those are good points, I'll admit.

The son driving it is going to be my biggest issue, I suppose if you always wore a very good 4 point safety belt and had it properly adjusted the column wouldn't be as big an issue and a head on crash that could send the column through your chest would likely kill you in several other ways as well but this is an important subject nonetheless.

What about using the telescoping column without the cowling?
Removing the keylock from the column and using the dash mounted ignition wouldn't be that difficult with a properly powerful grinder. Then would the column fit the earlier dash slot? Maybe with just a bit of encouragement?

I have to run out for a Dr visit, will check on this thread in a bit.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Rick
That is a good possibility- I'll save one of the safety columns for you.
Bill

RickB

Yoda
This is definitely going to be an adventure!
Thanks Bill, maybe I can come over later this week or sometime next week and relieve you of a large pile of stuff.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I do believe someone on this list used a Dremel to cut off the steering lock and then used something to dress out the column or maybe simply painted black and left it alone. Anyone got a dash available that can measure the opening for a Pre'68 dash? I need to go and look at my spare collapsible column out in the garage. OK Column is only 1 1/2" in diameter. The Steering Lock plate does provide some type of structural support it appears for the top of the column but looks like that could easily be modified. Or it could be left in place and likely would not interfere with anything. I can take pics of a naked column if needed. Here come the wierd minds with comments.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
I can put that together and photo it, I just don't have a car to put them in
BillM