• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Is Crypty rubbing off?

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Today I went to mount new air cleaners on my Stromberg 175's, and found they were of course 1/2" thicker than the old ones. New bolts were purchased, all seemed to be going well, and when lowering the bonnet, the support rod sheared off the mount.

Dale, please keep your voodoo car's spells in the islands, and off the mainland. I know this is minor, but it could be a trend.

Here are the old cleaners:
https://www.geocities.com/brooklandsspeedway/TR3B/photos/OldCleaners.jpg

and then the replacements:
https://www.geocities.com/brooklandsspeedway/TR3B/photos/NewCleaners.jpg

At least I am starting to try to work on the car, and with less fear of damage a running vehicle.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Dave - doesn't the bonnet support rod go on the opposite (driver) side from the carbs (passenger)? Can't figure out how the rod mount got sheared off.

Tom

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Nice setup and work on the filters.

As far as Crypty goes, are you friendly with the local clergy? If not, you may want to consider a change in status.

OP
Brooklands

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Not from the job, just metal fatigue when I went to lower the bonnet...
Completely unexpected as the bonnet rod seemed fine while the hinge for the trunk support was very poorly repaired and needed replacing. Both rods are now on order.

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Dave;

Russ writing from the Poconos while I`m still on the Air: Its coming down Big Time & Lightning like I have`nt seen in a Long Time; "Darn Right Scary"!

Anyways; Your Filters look Great! Why their 1/2" thicker, I don`t understand? Are you sure their the Correct ones for the TR3 & Strombergs?

But, Its like "nutmegCT" mentiones: The Support Rod is simply due to age: You will probably find, (As time marches on), that You will learn quite a bit about your car; Even If You don`t want to:

Keep the Faith;

Regards, Russ

PS: You have a PM from me regarding the "bcclv":

OP
Brooklands

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Okay Crypty...cut it out. I took the car out today for the first run since I changed the air cleaners, and it ran really rough. I only went a block and brought it home. Before I work on it again, any ideas if the thicker air cleaner could be a problem. It was a tight fit against the fenders, so could it have moved the carb into a binding situation? I guess I can put the old dirty cleaners back on while to see if it is the air cleaners or something else.

T

Tinster

Dave,

Don't know if it is any help to you,
but DPO Pedro had nerver changed the air filters.
I removed these two blackend masses.

The new filters I purchased were also thicker/wider
and would not fit into the air cleaner box
unless I installed them without their sealing
gaskets.

strange

d

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Do it for nothing more than to confirm the new ones are the "rough run" problem. If so, leave 'em until you can match 'em.

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Dave;

Well; I guess your getting the bugs out of your car; Kind of!!

I can`t believe the "New" Air Cleaners would have any Negative effect on the car!

But, Your right; I would clean the old ones out as best as possible and put them back on & See what happens:

I would almost bet; You will still have the same condition: Hope I`m wrong but I doubt It:

Best Wishes;

Russ /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Dave - I'm betting that (a) something got sucked into the butterfly (piece of old air filter gasket?) when you changed filters, or (b) you didn't replace and tighten everything back after the filter change. Maybe choke and jet linkages?

Happened to me on my Mazda Protege. After buying a new MAF sensor for $200, I found a tiny piece of leaf caught in the old one. Had "flown" in when I changed the air filter. Argh.

Just my 2¢ ...

Tom

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
The hot rod guys have found that many 'aftermarket' imported filter elements that are supplied with new 'fancy' air cleaner assemblys use a very restrictive filter originally intended for use with air compressors and other industrial equipment. They are much too restrictive to use on an auto engine...perhaps this is the problem...

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Brooklands said:
Before I work on it again, any ideas if the thicker air cleaner could be a problem.
I doubt the thickness itself is a problem (unless perhaps your "roughness" is actually the filter hitting the inner fender). But, just a thought, some ZS carbs have the bowl vent through the face of the carb, while others do not. Since your carbs and manifold are from another car, is there any chance your carbs have the vent in the face, but your new air filters (or gaskets) don't have the opening for the vent ? Having the vent blocked will definitely cause problems.
Brooklands said:
I guess I can put the old dirty cleaners back on while to see if it is the air cleaners or something else.
Or even just leave them off for a short test drive.

OP
Brooklands

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Well, the TR3B is running okay again. I took the new cleaners off and ran the car with no cleaners. It still was rough.

Then I put the ugly old cleaners back and it still ran poorly, so I basically jiggled the emissions plumbing that is a part of the current set up, and suddenly things seemed to smooth out.

So I put the new cleaners on, took the car out, and it was purring better than before.

And while I was fiddling around with all this, the new hood support rod and a few other parts arrived from TRF that I had ordered on Tuesday, so I put the new rod and hood latch on and finally got that to line up. I also started replacing the dash knobs since my vent knob had exploded opening the vent last week (they are no longer black, but more of a brown color, probably due to sun exposure) and was able to get a few knobs on. The vent one is still fighting me as the release button will not go through the latch hole. I guess I will need to slowly enlarge the hole until it catches. I still need to get the lighting and wiper knobs off so I can get the new ones on. They did not cooperate, and I had to stop to help take care of our 21 month old, 3' tall granddaughter Caty.
07May4Caty.jpg