• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Is British Car Forum Closing?

Number_6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I just went to the Classifieds section and saw this Headline:

"<span style="color: #FF0000">NOTICE: WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING NEW CLASSIFIED ADS. CURRENT ADS WILL REMAIN UNTIL THE MOST RECENT HAS BEEN DISPLAYED FOR 90 DAYS. AFTER THAT THE CLASSIFIED SECTION, ALONG WITH THE BCF FORUM, WILL CLOSE.</span> "

Does this mean that just the Classifieds section is closing or is the whole British Car Forum closing? I can't find any news topics anywhere now. Only topics I see are from Forum members.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
That's a very good question.

Only one man can answer that one.........

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I remember the first time Basil talked of closing the forum, he was going to try a few new things, including voluntary subscriptions, and that he would re-evaluate in October or Novemeber IIRC.

Either way, I'm sure he will let us know shortly. I would hate to see this wonderful place pack it in. :cryin:

roofman

Jedi Knight
Anyone interested in keeping this forum better go read what Basil posted in Forum Happinings catagory this morning.

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I perceive a sobering realtiy that something that once was fun for
Basil, has become onerous, at best. I catch a sense that while he
watches and reads about us working on our cars, he's glued to the issues
at hand of keeping the Forum's computers in synch and posting deposits
and paying the bills.

I think he'd rather be working on one of his cars or working a job that
actaully pays the bills. I am very sorry to post this, but it seems
most probable.

That said, would I pay more to stay here? Yes. Will what we could
afford to pay Basil satisfy his needs? I'm just not sure.

I do not mean to be so self-centered that I would ignore Basil's
pursuit of happiness in order to satisfy mine.

Basil, a huge amount of appreciation for your work and dedication to the
Forum. It is you and your values and personality that makes this place
what it is. I hope that the Forum survives; but more than that, I hope for
you peace, prosperity and happiness.

Sincerely,

Country flag
Let me see if my logic makes sense here:

9000 members (I think I heard or saw that somewhere)
x$12 - $1/month per member - anyone NOT have 3.34 pennies a day?
=$108,000 annual gross income

9000 members
x$60 - $5/month per member - who can't spare 1 or 2 gallons of gas once a month?
=$540,000 annual gross income

9000 members
X$120 - $10/month per member - 2-3 gallons of gas per month
=$1,080,000 annual gross income.

The saying goes many hands make light work. I say it is a small price to pay to keep something SO outstanding and beneficial to so many active.

Basil, don't feel bad or have ANY remorse about making this a pay site. YOU HAVE EARNED IT! I don't know about the fees and expenses that go into making this site function, but just based on what I typed above, it doesn't look like it would take big dollars per person to get you where you need to be.

Since I like saying so much, here's another one: Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free? Well, I for one will gladly pay for the cow. I can't even imagine how much time and money I'd spend to go various places and join various car clubs, meetings dues, etc. for the information, comraderie (sp?), and help I can can get in one place - here.

If you decide to do so, count me in for $25/month plus the fee for the Gold membership I already have.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Silver, you have hit the nail on the head and I hope that you post this on the main thread for this topic as well as here.

I'm in also. I belong to many fraternal and civic organizations that all cost a lot more than this, yet I get more out of this in a week than I do in years of those events.

For example, I play golf and belong to a country club. My choice for a variety of reasons. Could I still play golf if I didn't belong to a private club? Sure, but then it's on someone else's terms, so I pay to do what I want. When I can no longer play, I'll quit. If I break a leg and can't play for a year, my dues keep coming every month and I get much less enjoyment than when I can play. If my car is laid up or it's snowing outside, this forum is still here for my enjoyment, be it at midnight or 5:00PM.

Good things cost money to support and keep good. Someone suggested a members only approach when those who are not paying members can still benefit by looking, but no posting. That serves a two-fold purpose. It allows newbies to see what we're all about free of charge and allows those who choose not to participate the opportunity to get free advice on matters that members have posted.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
George, if more people had offered to do that a year ago when Basil posted the member donation structure, we would not be having this discussion. That was before you got here and the link to find it was not prominently displayed for new guys to see as Basil never wanted to make people feel ill at ease about being here.

So that's why we're where we are today.

CuriousGeorge

I know Paul, but it's a fact that people put off making donations, and tend to priortize where they send donations. The feeling is, 'oh, I already contribute my share of donations to church, the local fire company, this charity and that one, etc". But BUYING a membership makes you feel like an owner, and it's nice to know you are not paying for something others are getting for free. I would feel better about paying a required membership fee then sending a donation.

I know I am going to be spending money on my new TR6, and that any spent on this forum would be well worth it. I am truly greatful for the members who are very supportive and knowlegeable!

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
A standard annual fee should just be instated!

I know the hardcore BCF members would be up for that.

"Where do I sign to keep this forum going?"

as far as I can see, this is "THE PLACE FOR ANSWERS"

OP
Number_6

Number_6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I agree, I think that making it a pay forum is a good idea. It's worth it for the info and the feed back that we get on the forum.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Out of the 9000 members, how many will actually want to pay to be part of this forum. We can only look to see how many have already donated when things got tough a few months back. I'm sure Basil has that figure, but I know that it is a whole lot less then 9000. So, whatever the operating costs are, plus what Basil would like to see for his time, is the number that needs to be divided but those willing to spend the money...basically the number of members that have done so in the past. I fear it will not be enough.

Country flag
That's why I laid out what I said before in terms of $s per month. As you can see, it's very little - $1, $5, $10 per member per month adds up very quickly. And in budget terms, it's a small price - 1 to 3 gallons of gas per month.

How do I post my previous post to the main page? I am not sure how to do that. I will try a copy and paste to see if it can be done that way.

Peter

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Unfortunately, we're not able to solve this easily. It will come down to who is willing to pay and who is not. We all know who has more than paid his share in allowing this to go on as long as it has and Art is probably right about the apathy that exists, but just because it's on the Internet doesn't mean that it can be free to everyone anymore. And just because Basil has paid for everyone to enjoy this forum in the past, doesn't mean that he will tomorrow.

And that's not just here. I pay a nice fee to belong to a computer tech forum. If I need and answer, I have it in minutes or hours, just like here. two years ago they decided to shut it down when the mods were taking money out of their pockets to keep it going, which is totally nuts in my book. They put out an ultimatum of pay or shut down and the membership program began. Got a question? Pay to join and get answers. It's still a LOT CHEAPER than calling tech support.

Before it just gets shut down due to apathy, I'd like to see a number posted that it will cost to keep it going and let's start signing/paying up. If he likes, Basil can hold the fees until he decides if it's worth his while. If it is fine, if not, send them back, less expenses and shut it down.

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I agree about an annual fee, let's suggest that to the Emporer as this site is way to valuable and a fun place too.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
25$ minimum a year per member is a far cry from trying to figure out the problems with these little cars on owr own!

COUNT ME IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Not to mention all the great friends we have made here)

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Ditto :iagree: