• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Insurance suggestions

M

Mike

Any recommendations on U.S. classic car insurance companies for my Sprite?

Thanks,

Mike

Gray_Cat

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Gundy and Hagerty spring to mind. Best deals often depend on how many miles (estimated) you put on your car so be sure to check that out. Also, make certain you're getting "full protection", that is liability insurance in the very unlikely event you have an at fault accident. Comprehensive coverage is a must as most homeowners policies do not cover cars damaged due to fire and theft from the home.
Anyway, my 2 cents worth.
Roy

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I've used Hagerty for a few years and have been pleased, though I've not had to file a claim yet.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I have used Hagerty for about 3 years now and have been pleased. Their requirements seem to be less restrictive than Gundy or any of the others I checked on. No claims for me either but they do have a good reputation.

RickB

Yoda
Another vote here for Grundy - great coverage and a decent price.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Hagerty.
I had my Opel insured through them for one year before it got destroyed. They were great. It was an agreed-on value policy (I should have had it insured for more!) and they treated me very well. They don't care how many miles you drive it either. Hagerty rocks.

You need to have a garage for it and send them pictures. They let me take off parts after the wreck too, and they paid for towing TWICE.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Well, just got my re-up notice from Hagerty and my premium doubled. Hmmmm, yes the car I had insured with them was totaled last year, not my fault but guess that doesn't matter. Grundy you say, eh?

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Evn if my Hagerty premiums doubled, they would still be half of State Farm's.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Why are you only focusing on classic car insurance? Why not just a regular company?

WALTER

Jedi Hopeful
Just insured my Sprite with State Farm. $62 for six months. Not a daily driver though.

w

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
When I insure my '79 MGB through USAA for the road as a daily driver, $110 every 6 months.

WALTER

Jedi Hopeful
Agreed value or just liability?

W

P.S. Your pumpkin frightens me.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Mine's agreed...& I have the option of taking it "off the road" for periods of non-driving (winter, major work, etc.) for a reduced rate.

Rik

Jedi Hopeful
Tony,
I always thought USAA was for active and retired military only. Am I wrong or have they opened up to everyone.
Rik

losmorob

Jedi Hopeful
My x-wife's Stepdad was an oficer in the Navy and had USAA. I got in that way and have had my own coverage for over 10 years now since the divorce. Quite the back way of getting in. 5 cars insured in various levels. 650.00 every 6 months.

Dadandson

Jedi Trainee
Hagerty for me. My premiums are less than $200 a year and that includes 175 mile towing. We take the Midget all over Arizona and Las Vegas too. Never had to make a claim or use the towing yet but it nice to know I have it. Arizona requires emission testing unless insured as a classic car. It makes it easy when the MVD sees Hagerty.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
There's some gray area here. Mine's not a daily driver in the sense that it's primary transportation but I drive it more than just to car shows and "public interest". I can't honestly agree to this from J.C. Taylor:
"I agree that my vehicle(s) will be used mainly in exhibitions, club activities, parades and other functions of public interest and will not be used primarily for the transportation of passengers or goods."
Grundy has a form and I marked yes to such things and supplement to primary and something else like that.
"Any collector vehicle used for driving to and from work- YES
Any collector vehicle used for errands or backup? - YES"
Looks like it'd be about $130 for a year through them, unless they balk at last year's wreck. Not sure why Hagerty went up so much for me other than I had a claim. I'd imagine for every guy like me that drives it quite a bit there's 10 guys who almost never take theirs out. Not much risk for the insurance guys to insure a garage queen. I'm sure they have the probabilities down to a science. Hagerty treated me really well (other than non-negotiable buyback, I'd have bought the wreck back for a "reasonable" amount but it was more than the wreck was worth I thought) but I'm not so in love with them to pay nearly double the rate.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
FWIW I think driving a Midget is in the Public interest. :driving:

OP
M

Mike

I ended up going with Hagerty. The rate was competitive with the other classic car insurers and they immediately emailed me an insurance card to take to the DMV prior to completing the application and sending in payment.
Mike