• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Insurance denied: TR3A not EPA legal in US...????

Parker

Freshman Member
I just got off the phone with my insurance agent. She says that the insurance company (Travelers)will not insure my 1959 TR3A because it's not legal for use in the US. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? I figure that someone at the Travellers might just not know what they're talking about -- but I also have the nagging worry that the car I just bought may have been imported to the US illegally. Would the VIN/Commission number indicate anything about it's "US Approved" status? I have a certificate from BMH showing it as a US-Export car, but I don't figure that document would get me anywhere with the insurance company. Funny thing is, the New York State DMV had no problem with issuing a registration...
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Rather than stabbing in the dark trying to figure out what might or might not be "right" ... why not just ask the agent exactly what makes the car illegal to use in the USA? (Interesting that she says "not legal for use ...". Not legal for what kind of use?

We can all guess at what she might be talking about, but I'd think it would save a lot of worry to just ask her for the details and references.

Tom
1959 TR3 that's *very* legal in the USA.

PS - welcome to BCF!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Stinger said:
Call Hagerty ! :smile:

:iagree:

Then call your agent back and tell her you found coverage elsewhere, and her services are no longer needed.

SHEESH!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
OH! And welcome to the BCF!

:cheers:
Mickey

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Tell Travelers to "hit the road" and like the others have said:
<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">CALL H A G E R T Y</span></span>

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
:iagree:
There are later cars where "legal for use in the US" can be an issue; but no way can it be a problem with a TR3A. Your agent is simply mistaken on that point (although it may be that Travelers will refuse to insure such an old car anyway, as it won't be on their risk tables).

FWIW, in case you don't want to use Hagerty for some reason (like you actually drive your car), I had no trouble getting insurance from Mercury for my daily driver TR3A or it's replacement TR3 or either of the Stags. They did want to take photographs, and do a "stated value" policy, but that was easy. And I felt they treated me very fairly when the TR3A got totaled a few years ago.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Again, FWIW, I have State Farm coverage on the house, our cabin, and all cars, including an MGB and a TR8. When I had the TR3, it was covered. And my agent had no issue with "agreed value" coverage.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
The darn thing is, I have Traveler's for all my cars <span style="font-weight: bold"> except</span> the TR3. I never even considered trying to get insurance from them for the TR3, as it is a part time car, and I just went with Hagerty. Did anyone else mention Hagerty?? It will also be a lot cheaper getting collector insurance then just trying to get regular car insurance.

Collector car insurance such a Hagerty (there are others by the way) allow you to personalize the the coverage. Agreed upon replacement costs, liability, towing limits, spare parts theft etc. There are some limitations, but they are not what I would call intrusive. Check it out. The rates for collector insurance is very reasonable compared to the mainstream. You will be pleasantly surprised.

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">CALL H A G E R T Y</span></span>

I agree!! Great people to work work with.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
We "interviewed" State Farm agents many years ago, finally found one who was a var nut and been with him ever since. Photos of the cars and an "agreed value" on the GTV, MGB and both Elans. No problem.

G

How can a car be deemed legal by the State and given a registration, be deemed illegal by the EPA?Sounds like Ins.Co. BS to me. Without bringing up the the political ramifications of the"Green Movement" in power at this time in DC and being scolded by the overseer of this forum as incorrect political comment,my advise to you ,would be to ,read between the lines,ditch your agent-FOREVER,and call HAGERTY. Remember- The best way to hurt someone,is to punch them in the wallet.And old Scicilian proverb and dont forget to put garlic on the knife blade or the end of the bullets.Even if the inital wound doesnt get them, it will never heal.TELL EVERYONE!

TR4A_IRS

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
For those of you with State Farm, just pray you don't need your state farm coverage. We just had one of our vehicles repaired after being rear ended by a motorist covered by state farm. The amount of nickel and diming they did to try and reduce the amount they had to pay out to repair our car was shameful.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
tomshobby said:
State Farm here also. I put on too many miles for Hagerty.

Hagerty doesn't have a mileage limit. This from their website...

"Flexible Usage

Cars were made to be driven. So our policy allows for an occasional leisure drive, not just to parades or car events. <span style="font-weight: bold">We encourage limited pleasure use with no fixed mileage limits.</span>"

Nowhere on my policy is are any mileage limits mentioned. There used to be limits years ago, but not anymore. Hagerty and the other collector car insurers have realized that those of us who have these cars are pretty careful on how we drive them. Most often we have a lot of blood, sweat, tears and money in them, so we tend to be more cautious when driving them.

jdubois

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
martx-5 said:
"no <span style="font-weight: bold">fixed</span> mileage limits."

There is no set limit, but they definitely care enough to occasionally ask me how many miles I drive my cars. I think they're looking more for a pattern you cross, rather than any one specific limit. For instance, I discussed with them driving to work in my cars (something which is often a big no-no on collector policies), and they said it was ok as long as I probably took my daily driver more often than I took my collector car. So they care about it, but didn't want to give me any hard limit.

Anyway, that being said, Hagerty is awesome. Not only are they friendly and knowledgeable on the phone and they're coverage prices are extremely reasonable ($288/year for my Ferrari!!), but when they need to step up, they do without hesitation! Just the towing service alone is so far superior to AAA. They actually hassle the tow companies to get their butt over to you, and keep you in the loop the whole time.

TR6BILL

Luke Skywalker
Call <span style="color: #009900"><span style="font-size: 14pt">AMERICAN COLLECTOR</span></span> in Cherry Hill, NJ. Good people with many plans for collector cars. An alternative to Hagerty.

jdubois

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
TR6BILL said:
Call <span style="color: #009900"><span style="font-size: 14pt">AMERICAN COLLECTOR</span></span> in Cherry Hill, NJ. Good people with many plans for collector cars. An alternative to Hagerty.

I've heard good things about these folks as well.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Just a thought ... maybe instead of everybody telling him what to do ... we could wait 'til he gives us more details on exactly what he was told?

Parker, welcome to BCF!

T.