• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Initial word is out

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Gents and Ladies,

I take great pleasure in announcing The Official 50th Anniversary Celebration in the United States for the birth of the Austin-Healey Sprite and thus the Spridget we all know and love.
A dedicated group of your fellow Spridgeteers has been working diligently on this event and my hat is off to them for their hard work! This is the preliminary announcement.

Additional details will be provided soon including hotels, registration details, banquet, awards and prizes,
the car show, rallies, parades, Gymkhanas...etc.

Take a look here!!

https://www.starrtech.net/~jimj/images/SpridgetPoster1.jpg

Print this page out and hang on your refrigerator! Mark your
calendars! Don't miss this one because the Centennial won't be until
2058!!

Please cross-post as desired...

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And now you know why I have been thinking about a trailer.

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
Trailer?
I'm driving mine there, if I can't drive it...it wasn't meant to be, but I'll make sure Pegasus can get there under her own power. Driving home after a gymkhana may be another story!
Look forward to it, good work Jack.

bugimike

Yoda
Gives me a deadline to get mine running and somewhat presentable, but I will drive it there ratty-lookin if I have to!

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Like new, almost like new, racer, roller, daily driver, all welcome.

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
TRAILER! Jack are you not almost finished with a complete restoration? What no faith in your work? And I bet you are less than 500 miles from where the meet will be.
I have at least a 2 day drive and I'll be coming with family members in their Sprites (3 or 4 total by then) abd we don't own any trailers. I have faith in my work so the 58 will be there. I plan on some minor repairs on my 59 and maybe a repaint, it will be there. And the 69 rally car will be there if I don't sell it by then. It already made it to New Orleans from New York and back so LotO should be a piece of cake. If I get to the 71, it may be there too or who knows what will appear in the garage by then. Maybe I'll use the 59 Austin A40 as sweep vehicle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
But but, I'll get it dirty on the road, sigh.

Faith in my work, hehe, after a 500 mile shake down I'll feel good to go anywhere, but I got this wife who likes A/C and stuff, hehe. Gota have my prime mover.

ncbugeye

Jedi Warrior
And this fabulous event will be taking place where?

Country flag
451 Miles for me (according to google maps)
861 Miles for Jack (according to google maps)

So... it'd be a one day (all day) drive for me, and a two day drive for Jack.

PHerder

Jedi Hopeful
[ QUOTE ]
And this fabulous event will be taking place where?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lake of the Ozarks, MO (IAW the flyer)

~ 290 miles from me!

Paul Herder
Retired USAF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif
66 Sprite

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Additional details will be provided soon including hotels, registration details, banquet, awards and prizes,
the car show, rallies, parades, Gymkhanas...etc.

And a web site that is in process as we speek.

ncbugeye

Jedi Warrior
It's over 1000 miles for me, but I'd really like to be there...

bugimike

Yoda
Hmm. 20 plus hrs and 1300 plus miles... sounds like an adventure in the making. Once I get there might as well go on and visit my son stationed in Co. after the meet!
Jack, wives who love A/C are perfect candidates for sweep car drivers!!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
1,222 miles for me. I'll be trailering the Tunebug, that's a long boring drive in any car, and I want my wife to come along. No way she'd be interested in that long of a Bugeye trip.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You got it Drew. My wife is 66 now and would not take kindly to that at all, in fact I would need an extra trunk just for her pills. However, she would love the trip, likes to travel, we go overseas every year. With a trailer I can get her to come along and keep me awake. hehe.

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
Anyone making the journey in stages, I'm about three 1/2 hours NE of the Lakes, are welcome to stay at my joint as I could use the company on the drive down there.

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
An inspired location for the meet This has been a vacation destination for as long as I can remember. And then there are the Ozark Mountians(more like big hills) that have roads made for our cars. It will be good. The lake was built in the 30s by the local utility for electricity. Because it isn't a core lake, housing is close to the water. In the last month there was an ice storm (2") followed by 15" of snow. There has been several hundred million dollars of damage to docks and boats. Docks are not made for that kind of snow load in this area. Anyway, it will be a great location for the meet and anywhere on the lake is within 3 hrs of my house. Yehaw.......

bugimike

Yoda
I just like to let my delusions of youth get the better of me!! Last trip I took with the BE was just across the state to Sarasota and THAT felt long! But then again in a Sprite 50 feels like 100 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif all is relative - I mean how long can the longest drive BE in the British Isles? LBCs haven't in general made very good grand tourers have they unless you are into odessies, adventures and the unexpected /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif?

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
[ QUOTE ]
that's a long boring drive in any car,

[/ QUOTE ]

It sure is a boring drive in "any" car but it should be a blast in a Sprite /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I know for sure I wouldn't want to do it in my Ford Camry.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
No, the way that goes is, "Difficult in a Volkswagon, immpossible in a Sprite"

Ok, pay attention Laird. hehe.