• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Initial set-up of carbs for first run-up

chicken

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I am nearly ready to fire up my BJ7, i have been through the carbs and replaced the neccesary bits from a SU parts pack. When i intially start the egine do i have to be worried about any specific settings for the carbs, in other words if i set things up how i think now and run it will it damage the engine if i have made a mistake!!

Rob

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
There are several googleable documents on the web regarding tuning SUs that discuss initial setup and the "lift the pin" method of setting the carbs between too lean and too rich.

If the car runs OK and doesn't ping and isn't too rich, there should be no damage.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
chicken said:
I am nearly ready to fire up my BJ7, i have been through the carbs and replaced the neccesary bits from a SU parts pack. When i intially start the egine do i have to be worried about any specific settings for the carbs, in other words if i set things up how i think now and run it will it damage the engine if i have made a mistake!!

Rob

Just make sure that the SU fuel pump runs initially and then shuts off, it is ok if it clicks ocasionally after that.Now set the choke full on and see if she fires up and as has been said runs OK.---Keoke

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
anthony7777 said:
chicken, i would advise having a fire extinguisher handy.

7777's, Rob says it won't fire !.---Keoke--- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Rob,

One of the 'initial settings' is the number of turns on the jet adjusting nut. First you center the jet and bring the jet level to the bridge in the carb body. Then lower the jet by unscrewing the jet nut a full two turns (also read up to 2 1/2 turns). This will give a good approx. setting that can be tuned later for rich/lean conditions.

It's also a good idea to do a 'drop test' on the pistons/chambers during the rebuild to make sure you have an equal drop time. If you search for the Dave Russell post on the subject it will explain how to do the test.

Cheers,
John

OP
chicken

chicken

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
John

Thanks i'll try that, have also found some other info on the net so will have a little tinker.

Only thing is i'm not likely to get it running yet as i'm having problems getting a spark !! (see other post)

Rob

Keoke said:
anthony7777 said:
chicken, i would advise having a fire extinguisher handy.

7777's, Rob says it won't fire !.---Keoke--- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif
i figure if the fuel pump is running and it has a "rare" su leak after a rebuild he may get lucky .... ya know the rest, i also think it wise not to attempt an initial start up with the car in the garage, thats just silly old me. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hammer.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
<span style='font-size: 17pt'> </span>

<span style='font-size: 17pt'> </span>
Oh!!!!---------------------------Keoke