• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I'm mad - should I be?

MrPandy

I'm trying to finish my '71 TR6 dashboard and one of the few remaining parts needed is one of the two red warning lamps between the speedometer and tach. I have both of the lenses but only one of the retainers that screw on from the back. All of the usual places list it as N/A, so I was happy to see it on the Rimmer Bros. site. I ordered one set (lens and retainer) online, and since it seemed silly to have just that shipped from UK, I threw in a few bulbs and bulb holders for the gauges. When I ordered it, the description said 'Warning Lamp Lens Used', which was fine with me.

Flash forward three weeks to yesterday. Package arrives from Rimmer. Bulbs, bulb holders - no warning lamp lens. The receipt said "Part 148830U - not stocked. Sorry."

The part that angers me is that right after I ordered this, the lens came up on eBay for the first time in many months. If Rimmer had emailed me that it was out of stock, I could have bid on the auction. I never even received a "we got your order" message. Instead, I had to wait for a shipment from UK to arrive to find out that the part is not available, and I missed the auction. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Anybody have a lead on where to get a lamp retainer?

PeterK

Yoda
andy,

i agree, i'd be p.o. this is probably going to be one of those things that you'll remember every time you see the light - at least i would. i bet shipping was high too.
i ordered a small part from them and specified that i did not want to pay for air shipping. you guessed it, they sent it feded express for $50 shipping for a $20 part. then to top it all, moss u.s. started offering the part the next month.

i bet you'll find someone here has the retainer you need.

SpannerMan

Jedi Trainee
Sounds like British customer service to me... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Don't mean to offend anyone, but having lived on both sides of the pond I do think there are some differences in expectations and service provided. I would also be frustrated by the situation you described.

I will also say that I have had a lot of things from Rimmer's and been happy, but I have also had the experience that they've shipped parts Express (UPS express for me), when I have asked them for the cheapest available. I'm wondering if there is some limitation to their shipping options. Pete

swift6

Yoda
I have the part you need Andy. I just happen to have one extra retainer and six lenses and retainers as units. Scores from previous parts hauls. I'm thinking of ebaying the lenses and retainers. PM me with your address and the extra retainer is yours. We can call it neighborly BCF goodwill?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
MrPandy

MrPandy

PM sent - thanks, Shawn!

And everyone else - thanks for understanding and for letting me vent!

PeterK

Yoda
now when you see the properly retained light, you'll smile. i love this forum!

jerrybny

Jedi Knight
You should definitely email them and let them know what happened and that it would be nice if they kept their inventory up to date. If people don't complain they won't do anything about it. Just my 2 cents worth.

swift6

Yoda
The retainer is now in the hands of the US Post Office. 1st class mail. You should have it early to mid next week I would guess. Happy to help.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

ObiRichKanobi

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I would be very angry and would probably let them know. I'd let them know that the lens retainer was what you were really after and the other stuff was just to make the shipping worthwhile. I'd be real tempted to request an RMA and shipping reimbursement.