• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Identifying positive or negative ground....

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi guys,

Looking at a TR3A with no battery installed and trying to identify if the car has been converted to negative ground. Is there a quick way to do this?

Cheers
Tush

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
The neg. cable end is smaller and won't fit the positive terminal on the battery without opening it up. So check that first. The CB terminal on the coil is the wire that attaches to the distributor ( contact breaker) on a positive ground car. SW is from the switch. If the coils been changed out the positive terminal would go to the distributor,if its still a positive ground system. If its been changed to negative ground then the neg. terminal on the coil wire would go to the distributor.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Of course you could just ignore what has gone before and 'convert' it to whatever polarity you want. Worst case is that it is already converted and nothing happens.

Of course you'll want to be aware of any polarity sensitive devices that have been added (e.g. a radio) and not offer them the wrong polarity.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
It's also entirely possible that someone hooked the battery up negative ground and didn't bother to switch the wires on the coil.

As Geo said, hook it up the way you want and go with it. Probably best to repolarize the generator as well, since you have some doubt and it certainly won't hurt to do it.

I don't think I've ever seen a TR3 that managed to keep it's original "helmet" cable ends since new. Has anyone else?

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
On some of the early radios there was a plug on the back to change polarity, so you can check yours. Not a lot of people knew about this and threw away the originals.

Wayne

OP
M_Pied_Lourd

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Fantastic guys! Thanks for all the responses. It is appreciated.

Cheers
Tush

HerronScott

Darth Vader
It's also entirely possible that someone hooked the battery up negative ground and didn't bother to switch the wires on the coil.

As Geo said, hook it up the way you want and go with it. Probably best to repolarize the generator as well, since you have some doubt and it certainly won't hurt to do it.

I don't think I've ever seen a TR3 that managed to keep it's original "helmet" cable ends since new. Has anyone else?

Doesn't the ammeter need to have the cabling reversed if you switch polarity unless you don't mind it reading discharging when charging and vice versa?

I don't think my TR3 has the original helmet battery cables but one of my TR4A's does. Screws are MIA though.

Scott

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Doesn't the ammeter need to have the cabling reversed if you switch polarity unless you don't mind it reading discharging when charging and vice versa?

I don't think my TR3 has the original helmet battery cables but one of my TR4A's does. Screws are MIA though.

Scott
Wow, I didn't even realize they were still using them that late!

Yeah, ammeter leads should be swapped, but like the coil, not everyone does.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Geo, you beat me to it. My 67 BGT had them too, a bunch of them since it had two six volt batteries.

I remember when I reversed the polarity on my 4a and the ammeter read backwards until I figured out you can just switch out the two big wires going in on the back.

This could be another clue on the car in question provided the prior owner swapped it out when ( and if) they switched polarity.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Dave - You say you were looking at this TR3. Does this mean you have bought a third TR3A - to go with your parts car and your TR6?

Cheers

Don

OP
M_Pied_Lourd

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Dave - You say you were looking at this TR3. Does this mean you have bought a third TR3A - to go with your parts car and your TR6?

Cheers

Don

Hi Don, yes I am afraid so :glee: I now own TS44836LO, a 59 3A

Cheers
Tush

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Folks,

I was at the "Eurofest BMW Classic Car Show" last Sat. in Greer, SC (Great Show as usual). Over 400 cars there & only "European" marques.

There was an "Original, Un-Molested, Un-Restored" `58TR3 there with the "Helmet" cable ends in reasonably good cond.

Its too bad they did`nt have a "Preservation" class cause he would have won!!

Regards, Russ

thechileman

Jedi Hopeful
Lol, I know this is hijacking the thread, but when I got my TR4, it had the "helmet" battery cables. I didn't even consider they might be of interest to someone. I think I pitched them. I replaced them with conventional cables when I switched it over to negative ground. I will look again in my junk box, and if they are still there I will post up and offer them to somebody no charge. I need to learn that when I think something is junk, I need to ask here first.