• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I PASSED!!!! OMG I PASSED!!

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
Just [deleted] I got my 'B to pass her Cali emissions test. It was close... REAL close, but she passed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. I had to lean her WAY out though. So lean, that she idles extremely poorly, but once you kick the RPMs up a bit the car seems to drive 'ok'. Which strikes me as "odd" cause all the manuals say it's too lean when the car behaves the way it does when I got her to pass... The 'B scored 0.91% @ 15MPH and 1.21% @ 25MPH (max allowable for me were 1.46% @ 15MPH and 1.26% @ 25MPH).

I guess this means I probably have some other things I need to look at to get her to perform correctly? Maybe I have the idle air mixture nut & screw set too 'lean'?

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
You west coasters are startin' to scare me. I'm soooooooo glad I don't have to deal with this crud yet!

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
WHEW! Congrats nunyas!

clapping.gif

You know. Everyone's told me that I don't have to worry about that here in IL either. But I just checked the state website and exempt vehicles include those "1967 or before" and "antique vehicles [(at least 25 years old) that qualify for antique license plates from the Illinois Secretary of State."

I'm driving a '75 which qualifies for antique plates. But I chose not to put the plates on the car because of the driving limitations here. According to the wording "qualify," my car does. But do I have to put antique plates on her for the exemption?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
JB, Thats good for You.
Banjo,just don't buy any LBC past the year 1976. Calif just reinstated the SMOG requirements for all cars past the 1976 year-and we had big guns fighting it. ILL will probably follow they seem to mock Southern Calif.--FWIW---Keoke---Mine? ALL 1966"s /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
You know what's funny... Everyone that I've encountered in my quest to get my emissions test completed and passed all seem to think that Cali is still on the "rolling" 30 year exemption. The folks at the DMV, the Emissions test station folks, the Muffler shop guys, and even the mechanic that I had look at the car when I got started on this endevour. I guess I just know something they don't... or vice versa. It would seem that there's alot of people in Cali that didn't know it happened (the rolling 30 year exemption getting locked to 1976 model cars and newer)... and I hate to think of how many of them voted to pass the bill or thought it was a good idea. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I'm a licenced Inspector in N.Y. In December we here in Upstate just went to what they call "Low enhanced emissions" But like I said it really only effect 96 and newer (cars equipped with OBDII) We have always "required" that all origional emissions equipment be in place and in operational condition, but that's about it for emissions. So far anything without a "check engine" light is still under radar.(knock on wood) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif
What's with the Check engine light anyway? Every time I open the hood, the engine is right where it should be. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Nunyas, don't woke em leave em sleep on. See senate Bill A.B.2683---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
yeah... I know about that bill, but it seems like no one I've encountered that SHOULD know about it does (i.e. people at the DMV, emissions test people, etc.). Anyone else find the date that California Senate Bill A.B. 2683 is supposed to go into effect as... uhm... kind of ironic?

R6MGS

Yoda
Here in Ontario we started Emission testing a few years ago but luckily cars 20+ were exempt...My 84 Camaro had to go through only 1 test before it was exempt and it managed to get a "conditional pass" meaing if I were to sell it I would have had to get another test done, but now it's exempt to so I don't have to worry about it....Recently there has been talk about cutting out the Emission testing, I don't think it was doing much anyway I still see alot of cars pouring out black smoke! I guess some of the certified tester would be pretty angry if they cut it out though..I heard the equipment to do the test cost some ridiculus amount(I can't remember the exact number)...Anyway I'd still rather be in California than here freezing!

Greg_G

Freshman Member
A note about the mixture.

Just because it passed does not mean the mixture is adjusted properly. If you think you are running too lean I would definitly adjust it back. Running too lean creates too much heat and can damage engine internals. Too rich is better than too lean, for engine wear - not emmisions, mind you.