• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I know there's a reason, but...

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<span style="text-decoration: line-through">...why is there a gasket on the upper half of a 1098 rear engine plate on the side closest the transmission & not between the rear engine plate & the engine block?

Or am I doing it wrong?</span>

I've gotta be doing it backwards!!

Glen_B

Jedi Trainee
Are you reading the Haynes manual in a mirror?
That sounds exactly bass-akwards. That would create a seal between the backplate and the bell housing. Useless, since even the worst hemorrhaging Spridget never fills the bell housing deep enough to reach the gasket :smile: I'd put the gasket on the other side, but I'm pragmatic.

Glen

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
It is bass-akwards....its gotta go between the engine & the backplate.

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">& I put the little round can that goes over the oil pump up against the engine, then set the gasket & finally set the backplate.</span> That's gotta be wrong also...gasket has to go up against the engine, then the backplate with the little can in it.

& I've got the factory shop manual & it doesn't go into that level of detail.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Don't you just hate the lack of pictures too. One picture or exploded view diagram can solve so many little issues like this. We have all been there. I especially was ticked off at the restoration manuals, many many details left out. So much that many of them were useless. Too much attention to things like sheet metal(that most people can figure out) and not enough about basic re-assembly of each sub assembly. You take apart a cruddy mess and months later want to put it back right and the book is not help, so trial and error.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hay Tony, my phone works.

RickB

Yoda
2 words people - DIGITAL CAMERA

I took loads of pictures of every step when I rebuilt the C engine over 20 YEARS ago - all on film too. Those pictures really made a huge difference.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Digital camera ain't helpin' right now!

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
tony barnhill said:
Digital camera ain't helpin' right now!
:lol: I got no pateints to use a camera when tearing things apart. My hands are greasy and things are a mess, that is why we buy the dang manuals where somone has steam cleaned the car and then takes it down bit by bit with a camera man clicking away, so we don't have to take pics. I only take pics before a motor pull, just because of my real bad experiences with vacuum hoses on cars in the past.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Now I can't find the rest of my engine tab set - I used the ones on the rod caps & laid the ones for the flywheel somewhere....darn! I really don't like working on this little A-series engine!

Don't get me wrong - I love driving the little car...its just that MGB engines are so much easier to work on!

Country flag
Lock-tite

RickB

Yoda
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]I got no pateints to use a camera when tearing things apart.[/QUOTE]

HA!!!

That's how I felt when I did my 69 B (the car I had before my 69 C)

So, after I picked my way and suffered through putting the B back together (there was no BCF back then) I decided there must be a better way and photographically documented the "tearing apart" stage.

It turned into a really good thing - I now take pictures for everything but the simple stuff (plugs, oil change).
Seriously, you have no idea what you are missing until you take a few pictures.

Case in point: When I first bought the Midget I took some pics of the underneath. I posted them here & someone said: "hey, looks like a bolt is about to come completely out under there?"

They were right and it wasn't the only one. I may just owe my life to this process (and the BCF).
(maybe a little dramatic - but I do believe what I'm saying )

Ed Kaler

Jedi Warrior
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]I got no pateints to use a camera when tearing things apart. My hands are greasy and things are a mess, [/QUOTE]

That is EXACTLY why a $20 tri-pod and a clean rag hanging on the pan-head arm is a POC, Kim!! :lol:
:cheers:
Ed
(with TWO of them: 1 normal for most stuff and 1 VERY small/short one to use in taking close-ups!!)

RickB

Yoda
Todays cameras have this very cool thing called 'wireless remote control' and connectors to let you PC control them as well. Make use of the tools is all I'm saying.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
RickB said:
Todays cameras have

also gotten really cheap these days - to the point of being able to get greasy - just pull out the card with clean hands. That being said, I've already gone on record as confessing I didn't take enough pictures (I now believe you can't take enough pictures :wall: ) - that being said, before this becomes a thread about cameras, anyone got a pic for Tony? My 1500 pic won't help here.

JP

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Well, I found my engine tab set so the flywheel can go on today.

I ended up putting the gasket against the rear of the block & then mounted the rear plate with the little oil pump can attached to it.

I have to stop thinking MGB engines while I'm putting this one together.