• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I have a strange oil leak..

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Perhaps one of you fine Gents and Ladies can offer an opinion for me, in regards to where this oil leak is coming from.
I didn't have it last year when I put the car away, but I do now.
I have a steady tiny stream hitting the top of the timing cover... yes.. the top. Then it is pooling there, then running down onto the cross member and on to the ground. I have gone around the oil cooler hoses with a white cloth and no oil is hitting it, and I have them cleaned off as well and there is no oil running down on them either. It was mentioned that perhaps the fan is blowing it onto there, but it is a tiny pinhole like flow hitting, as I said.. the exact same spot. There is nothing else leaking from what I can tell as I got rid of all the crap that was on the front of the engine and started it when all was dry. I even tried the baby powder thing, and again.. just the same spot. I took a video of it today. It is a tad dark but half way through it is clearer.

https://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v164/KLUTZP/?action=view&current=DSCN4656.flv

Thanks

Paul

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
perhaps it's the head gasket?

I couldn't pick out the leak in the video.

OP
KLUTZ

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
It isn't the valve cover gasket, that is for sure. As for the others I hope not. As I say, it appears to be a direct stream hitting in the same spot. I will try to stick an MT paper towel roll down in the opening tomorrow to see if I can get a more accurate idea of what direction the stream is coming from. That might work.

Thanks

It could be the oil galley plug, look in there Klutz, you see it partially blocked by front engine plate, but you can get to it, if that's it, you can clean it good with brake cleaner then use JB Weld epoxy at the oil galley plug and seal it back up. I've seen that leak before /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

OP
KLUTZ

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Well, I went out and cleaned everything up AGAIN and focused on the Oil galley plug (after I located it on my engine from the GT first) As I was watching closely, I finally noticed that there is a pin hole on the top of the timing cover and the oil is coming OUT of it, and not shooting on it.
Can I use JB weld on this or will the stuff I have used to seal gas tanks in the past work? The gas tank sealer held up for over 7 years with a past vehicle.

Thanks for telling me about the plugs though, Hap.

Paul

Paul, good deal, atleast I got ya looking in that area :smile:, yep that's a wierd one. Yes to expoxy or a sealer you feel good about as repair.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Excellent catch, as Hap says clean well with a bit of sand paper, and something like carb cleaner and use a drop of epoxy. After you are sure it worked a drop of paint would be in order.

OP
KLUTZ

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I sanded it down and used some Metal Ready on it, then some acetone. I slopped on the Gas tank sealer and let it dry. Went for a half hour drive and there is no leak anymore. You can barely see the sealer on there either. That is a big relief for sure.

Paul

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Excellent, on the next engine rebuild you can do something permanent or at least look inside the cover and see what happened.