• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I guess I could say, it could have been worse

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Without a lot of details for legal reasons, this will probably end our cruising for a while. Thankfully, we're both OK and this wasn't my fault.

It could have been a lot worse.

Attachments

• 12586.jpg
    12586.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 666
  • 12587.jpg
    12587.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 662
  • 12588.jpg
    12588.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 664
  • 12589.jpg
    12589.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 660
  • 12590.jpg
    12590.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 664

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Paul-

Truly sorry to see that, especially with the work you just finished. But you did hit the positives - you are still around, it wasn't your fault, and I'll add that after you get past the aggravation, that looks pretty fixable with a good body shop.

Randy

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
The only thing that really worries me is the matching of the paint. The frame will be checked on a computerized alignment machine, the sheet metal will be aligned properly and hopefully I can get NOS sheet metal for replacement. After that, it's the color and texture of the paint to match the rest of the car.

G

Ouch, Paul, that looks 'spencive! Glad you are ok. Think you torqued the frame? And that firewall looks like it took a lick. Keep us posted.

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Good luck with the repairs Paul, real sorry to see that happen, good that you were both OK though.

I understand that the computer paint matchig is extremely good, though I haven't had to use it.

Keep us posted, Tinkerman

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
The paint place I go to does better matching by hand than with a computer - just bring a painted piece in and they can get it exact. I think the only downside is when they've done it for me they do it on the fly so I don't get the various mix ratios to save for later reference.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I didn't take any pictures under the hood as I wanted to do that at the body shop and after I contact Hagerty Insurance tomorrow. I wasn't sure if I could get it shut after opening it and if they want that done with an adjuster there, it will be fine with me.

Luckily I have pictures from every angle of the car prior to the accident and that will prove that every body gap and seam was perfectly even. Which is exactly what I expect them to be when it's done.

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
Paul,
What a shame. Especially with such a nice car. Would you not be better to have these panels repaired rather than going for NOS? At least they used to fit. I hope that you don't find any hidden damage to the frame, etc.
Nick

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Paul, sorry. Just looking at the pictures I get sick at my stomach. I can imagine how you must feel. I think the old car was feeling a bit neglected here of late and got even. There's that Christine thing again.
Oh well back to the nausea. pb

tomshobby

Yoda
It is so great that you and your bride were not injured.

Like I said in my e-mail reply, you have such great photo documentation of the before condition of your car and your insurance will make sure their insurance fixes it right.

Just wondering, you gonna take it to Buford's Backyard Body Bondo Repair? :savewave:
Seriously, I smashed my TR4 years ago and remember how I felt and how much more I appreciated it when I got it back.

BTW: looks like the wheels are all destroyed, probably need to include those new Panasports in the quote! :smirk:

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
The hood MAY be able to be repaired, Nick, but the fender is history in my opinion.

I want to see how it's all going to be pulled back in for the even alignment again. As I said, I'm glad that I have a lot of pictures taken from every angle prior to this. If nothing else, this should encourage everyone who doesn't to get them taken now, just in case you're ever hit as an innocent bystander as I was.

I want it to look like this again:

Attachments

• 12591.jpg
    12591.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 567

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
so sorry Paul!!

refer to email....

G

Again, so very sorry. On the positive side, your insurance company will probably never see that kind of photo documentation again in a claim! A really good spray man can paint the whole car without taking it down from the A-post back so I would ditto the who paint thing. What a bummer!

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Thanks for all of the sympathy. I do want to save whatever can be saved as original parts, if the fit and function will be correct.

The bumper has a scratch on the top of it that can be rechromed. My only concern is that when it's unbolted, it doesn't spring or twist. I was stopped and hit by a car going sideways, not a direct head on, so the bumper pushed in his panels and the hood and fender took the impact.

I've seen a lot worse look like new in my dealership days, but my old craftsmen are all retired now. But there are new shops that can handle this with no problems.

I've got all of the time needed to do it right, so I just need to find the right guy to do it. The guy who did all of my under hood work may or may not want to do it, but I'll ask him first.

I also want to go see whoever Hagerty has on their list of approved shops for custom restoration and repair.

I guess that this will be another episode of finding out how we're really treated by the "classic" insurers when we have a claim.

Films at 11.......

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Sorry to see this Brosky, hope everything works out, and don't match the paint, paint the whole car.[/QUOTE]

Searcher & Bill,

Believe it or not, that is Dupont Centari Acrylic Enamel on there from 1985 when it was color coated to take care of the faded original paint. It was before I met my wife, or it would have been done in multi coat lacquer.

It will take a very good spray man to match the color and texture, so a total color coat may be my only option if I want it all to look the same. And I do!!!

One big problem is finding a shop that will put up with my demands. Time will tell......

Here's two perfect pictures to show the body shop and insurance copy about the hood and paint:

Attachments

• 12592.jpg
    12592.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 385
  • 12593.jpg
    12593.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 380