• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I got the 1958 100-6 home

wolf

Country flag
Well Tuesday I left at 1:35 AM , drove over 900 miles ( round trip by myself ) and got home at 8:20 PM but I got the Healey home and saved it from the crusher . I tried to load pictures but they were too big . I will have to learn how to make them smaller . If you go to Webshots.com , do a members photo search for 58healey click on it and then click on my album , the photos will come up . If someone knows how to down size them and move them here , that would be great . My body tag is 3491 / 1606 . I have sent this info off for the Heritage Certificate . If you look at the photos , you will see I have a ton of work ahead of me .

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
OP
W

wolf

Country flag
I know so work will slow . I think one of my first steps will be to get it soda blasted . I will check out that link , thanks for the info . I just found the number on the frame by the right front shock and it is 1049 .

57_BN4

Wow, that is quite a project! I think it'd look fantastic just the way it is but fix up the important bits, aka ratrod.

ps: easy way to put images here is use the feature on Webshots (button to the left of the Facebook icon, below the image), select 600 size at the top and copy the "direct link to image". then in the forum reply box type
and it will show up.

like this
2986805740106780761S600x600Q85.jpg

and you can link to the album by typing [ url]paste the link here[/url]
https://good-times.webshots.com/album/578786813oysXTp

pps: I wrote a little article the other day on de-rusting using acid, have a look here How to remove rust

Andy.

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Brave indeed! You might want to begin with a spreadsheet that includes all the purchased components you will need (lots) plus the cost of restoring what you have there, and then reflecting on the bottom line.

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Have you done much/any welding? If not, it's time to buy a welder (or two or three) and start learning--I think it would be hugely expensive to pay someone to do your welding.

I had zero welding experience when we started our 100M restoration, but took it upon myself to learn a little MIG and then TIG and now I have a new hobby. I really enjoy it--though it can be frustrating at times--it's a very 'zen' activity.

You can probably get by with just a MIG to start, but you'll need a new front panel for your shroud and they were originally TIG welded. The front shroud is at least three separate sections welded together using 'heliarc,' which is TIG welding using helium for shielding gas. I originally thought TIG was a fairly modern innovation, but it's been around at least since WWII. You can also do it all with gas welding if you're good at it, but the MIG especially is very convenient.

You'll also want to make or buy a rotisserie for the chassis work you'll be doing.

Don't blast or dip until you're ready to get a coat of (preferably) epoxy primer on the metal--it'll rust in no time if you don't.

Country flag

57_BN4

Randy Forbes said:
Ah, left door lock; it may be an earlier model than you think.

Might even have an inside lock for the right door...?

Yes, I'd guess Longbridge due to the LH door lock as described on P94 of the good book. Also if there is any logic to the body numbers, yours at 3491/1606 would make it quite an early car as mine is [edit]18 April 57 with 3733/3288

here is a similar body number to yours
3084587577_6ab8314dd8_o.jpg

Does it have a brake master cylinder? if so does it have a reservoir cast-in or remote? also what side is the bonnet prop on...

Andy.

healey106

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Congratulations - You certainly have a project and I do believe that your BN4 is definitely a true 57.
My BN4 body # of 3412 was built in April 1957. It should be very interesting what the Heritage Cert has to say about your Longbridge
jim :driving:

Country flag
Okay, more 100/6 reference points...

The Longbridge engine I'm building has this data on the BMIHT cert:

VIN BN4L-O-34099
body #'s 3491 / 1186
build date(s) February 12, 1957

Country flag
Wait a minute...

3491?

That number (body or batch?) is the same as my customer's car!

Before you ask me to look at any details, I have only the engine/xmsn, the chassis/body is 1100 miles away.

OP
W

wolf

Country flag
The guy I got the car from told me it was a 1958 .....most likely that is what he was told when got the car since Ga. does not title older cars . Thanks for the advice on welding , I have a coworker that is very good at welding but I like Bob's idea of learning myself .

richberman

Jedi Warrior
My BMIHT cert has my BN4-LO/36676 with body 3625/2475 made March 15 1957, so your must be a 57.
Interesting that my numbers come after yours but it was made a month earlier....Are the body panels marked somewhere?
rich
Anyone have my original 1C/36676 engine?

OP
W

wolf

Country flag
Andy , the brake master cyclinder is self contained with metal top that screws on ( just like the clutch ) , no remote container . Also , the hood prop is on the left side ( missing but the bracket is there ).