• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I didn't think it was possible but....

Mio

Country flag
my Bugeye is much, much more fun to drive since I installed a set of Toyo Proxes RA1s. The gripping characteristics of these tires is nothing short of phenomenal.

Mike

toyoproxesra1.jpg

OP
Mio

Mio

Country flag
Hi Donn,
Many thanks on your comments. As to your question concerning the 'wide tires' I really don't know what to say as I've never had a problem with any rubbing. When I purchased the car it came with a set of Yokohama AVSs (185/60/13) but my recent upgrades (i.e., anti-sway bar, triple master cylinder, panhard bar, etc.) eclipsed the capabilities of these tires, hence my decision to go with the Toyos.

Mike

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
Actually Mike I was only kidding about the tires fitting inside the wheelwells. They sort of stick out a bit. (Dry humour - no palm trees here) But even your wheels are wider than the fenders. Are there spacers or offset wheels or something? On an old racer of mine I used the zig-zag rear springs to keep the tires <span style="font-style: italic">in</span> far enough.
https://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x288/frogeye61/Links/LRFP.jpg

bugimike

Yoda
I was thinking he had to have spacers to get that offset!!!

OP
Mio

Mio

Country flag
racingenglishcars said:
Or an RX7 rear axle

Actually, that's on my list of things to do. I have already acquired a rear axle assembly from an '84 RX-7 GSL but have yet to do the necessary modifications to it. I'd just assume spend some quality time with the car on the road before I perform yet another upgrade.

Mike

OP
Mio

Mio

Country flag
bugimike said:
I was thinking he had to have spacers to get that offset!!!

Hi Mike,
No spacers at all but the wire wheels were, in fact, custom-made and provide a wider footprint than are typically found on these cars.

Mike

rulle7

Jedi Knight
Country flag
KOOL 6T indeed!! :yesnod:

Country flag
How many road miles do you think you might get out of those tires?

OP
Mio

Mio

Country flag
Trevor Jessie said:
How many road miles do you think you might get out of those tires?

While contemplating the purchase of the Toyos, I did take tire life into consideration. There were other tire options available which were not only much cheaper (e.g., Sumitomo HTR 200) but also afforded a higher tire rating. Nonetheless, the choice became easy when I reflected on the fact that the Yokohamas that had been on the car still displayed considerable tread depth and yet weren't gripping the road to my level of satisfaction. Suffice it to say that I don't make compromises on suspension and braking components.

In response to your question, I believe it's fair to say that I will get far fewer miles out of the Toyo Proxes than I would a tire in another performance category. I would argue, however, that the cost associated with reduced braking and handling characteristics far outweigh the monetary difference in the price of tires.

Mike

GreenHornet

Jedi Trainee
Hadn't really thought about this til now, but any forseeable problems running the tubeless tires on those wire rims that need tubes?
Great looking car!

OP
Mio

Mio

Country flag
GreenHornet said:
any forseeable problems running the tubeless tires on those wire rims that need tubes?

Hi,
The wire wheels have been on the car for 5 years now and neither myself nor the previous owner (based on what he told me) have experienced a single issue. For what it's worth, I also had the tubes replaced when I installed the Toyos.

GreenHornet said:
Great looking car!

Thanks. Here's another pic.
Mike
toyoproxesra1a.jpg

bugimike

Yoda
Is it just the camera angle, or do the tires on the right side look like they hang out further than on the left side?