• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A How to identify what steering box and column I have on a TR3a?

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Hi guys - I understand there were several differences on the steering assembly the TR3-TR3a used. I have a rebuilt box and column from TRF from my project that was never used and want to make sure I accurately describe it.

What should I be looking for?

Thanks!

trglory

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
The only difference I am aware of is that they produced the steering gear originally with a one piece shaft, and later, with a two piece shaft. The one piece shaft goes from the steering box all the way up to the steering wheel, whereas the two piece shaft is split in the middle with a splined coupler connecting the two pieces.

Joe

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
They also had adjustable versions of both the split and one piece columns. The adjustable versions have a locking wheel on the upper part of the column between the steering wheel and the dash. Unlocking it allows the wheel to move from too close to way too close. :glee:

Lou Metelko

Jedi Trainee
According to TRA's Judging Standards manual TS27000 to TS42000 may have one piece or split steering column. Earlier than TS27000 should have the one piece / later than TS42000 should have the split. That TS range roughly covers the production of the 3A during 1958. In one of Piggott's books he comments that it is strange that there was no definite stop / start from one to the other system. Having the split column made it much easier to remove the steering box.

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
According to TRA's Judging Standards manual TS27000 to TS42000 may have one piece or split steering column.
FWIW, TS39781LO had the split column. The added mounting tabs on the frame, and the captive nuts on the firewall all looked original, so I'm fairly confident it was built that way.

The fixed wheel version of the column has a very short section of splines (perhaps 3/4") with a tapered seat just below them. The adjustable wheel version has much longer splines (3 or 4" worth) and no tapered seat.

As far as I know, the steering box for split column adjustable wheel is the same as the box for the split column fixed wheel.

But (in case it's not obvious), the box is different for RHD vs LHD. The threads on the worm are different, too. One of my bits of Triumph memorabilia is a brand new RHD worm :D

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
photo(30).jpg

photo(29).jpg

Thanks for the help guys - here are pictures of the actual column.

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
Evidence has surfaced that the change point to a split steering column was TS34533. Thereafter Mulliners suppled the painted body with attached front apron, rather than loose as required for the one piece column.

Viv

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'm still trying to understand why LHD and RHD cars would have a different worm. Does turning anti-clockwise make the car go right?

There is also a date code stamped on the face of the bottom cover -the cover the olive is attached. It's usually hidden under a bunch of grime, and/or painted over. It's the usual form of 2 numerals for the manufacture week, and 2 for the year.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'm still trying to understand why LHD and RHD cars would have a different worm. Does turning anti-clockwise make the car go right?
The box itself is also mirror-image, the steering column is always inboard of the rocker shaft. The arm with the peg comes in from the opposite side. So, for a LHD box, pulling the peg towards the driver turns the wheels to the left; while for a RHD box the peg has to be pushed away to turn left.

(Or maybe it's the other way round, but you get the idea.)