• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bonnet Latch Adjustment [how to adjust bonnet latch [BJ7] to keep it closed]

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
We got our 3000 Mk II BJ7 on the road last summer for the first time in decades, but the bonnet will not stay latched. Drive down the road and it'll bounce itself loose, such that the two secondary 'hooks' on each side of the bonnet will have to hold it in place.

Any advice as to what to adjust and how to adjust to keep it shut?

Thanks,

Doug

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Doug,
The first thing I'd check is if the locking mechanism is greased and sliding to it's fully locked position without binding.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hello Doug,

I will assume your bonnet is lined up and seats properly.

1) Make sure the bonnet catch slider moves easily.

2) The bonnet latch spring must have a constant pull on the bonnet latch slider. The slider will be pulled to the right. (Photo 4)

3) The guide plate is centered. It will be centered over the bonnet latch hole when it is in the open position. (Photo 3)

4) Adjusting the base plate to the left or right will align the striker pin over the guide plate and align the bonnet. (Photo 1)

5) Adjusting the striker pin length will determine how flush the bonnet will be with the shroud and how far down the pin will go into the latch. That adjustment is done by turning the striker clock or counter clock wise. The nut on the top of the threaded striker pin will set it in place. (Photo 2)

If the tip of the striker is at the correct length, seating down in the latch slider, then the spring is not pulling on the slider with enough pressure to lock it in place.

If the springs pressure is not letting the slider move, then the striker pin head is not below the latch enough.

When you push down on the bonnet, you should hear the latch make a click.

I would start with those items.

Maybe the head on the pin does not have a good lip for the latch to grab.
Maybe the base plate is not secure and moving.
Maybe the spring is not strong enough.
Maybe I'm too sexy for my shirt.

Let us know if any of these items help.

Cheers,
Roger

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
GregW said:
Hi Doug,
The first thing I'd check is if the locking mechanism is greased and sliding to it's fully locked position without binding.

Yeah, what Greg says.
Off the path here, just wanted to say congradulations on the number of posts you have today, on this particular post. 4444. Right on Johnny on the spot. OMG, I see I joined this fun place 11 days after you. What a slacker I am, I have only 1119 posts. :bow:

Cheers Greg,
Roger

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
AUSMHLY said:
What a slacker I am, I have only 1119 posts.
I can see why. In that first photo it looks like you stabbed your hand with the hood pin. What's with all the blood? :lol:

P.S. Cudos to you for getting the shot with your good hand. And making a more thorough answer.

OP
T

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks for the advice and photos and level of detail - hopefully this weekend as it's supposed to be sunny and warm and Healey is outside while the Bug-Eye got its engine pulled last night to get a 5 speed.

And the guy across the street was out in his shorts and t-shirt, shovelling snow off his lawn...

Do you guys in California get to have as much fun as we do?

Thanks again,

Doug

Country flag
If all else fails, and it's at all like my 100-6, try grabbing the bonnet latch hole piece and pulling it slightly upward from the rear. Mine has a tendancy to drift downward at an angle over time. :smile:

Larry

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
twas_brillig said:
The guy across the street was out in his shorts and t-shirt, shovelling snow off his lawn...

Do you guys in California get to have as much fun as we do?

More: we have all girl crews in short shorts and T shirts that come around and shovel the snow off our lawns.- :banana:

Thanks again,

Doug

Country flag
More: we have all girl crews in short shorts and T shirts that come around and shovel the snow off our lawns.-

Tell em I've got snow right now!!!!

Larry

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
longbridgehealey said:
More: we have all girl crews in short shorts and T shirts that come around and shovel the snow off our lawns.-

Tell em I've got snow right now!!!!

:savewave:
GIRLS,-- :wh------------------------Keoke- :laugh:

Larry

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
longbridgehealey said:
If all else fails, and it's at all like my 100-6, try grabbing the bonnet latch hole piece and pulling it slightly upward from the rear. Mine has a tendancy to drift downward at an angle over time. :smile:

Larry

If you're referring to the latch slider, then I'd take the time to take the entire unit out of the car. Make sure the metal slider is straight, not bent. Grease the slider and make sure the two spacers are the same size.

I try to figure out where the problem is, how it came to be and fix it.
Sometimes the part needs to be replaced if it can not be fixed.

Good luck,
Roger

Country flag
Hi, Roger - I've got a little bit of an offset between the slider and the post that comes down. It's on the list of things to do, but right now
I've got the entire interior torn out, putting a new carpet in. You're right, fix it before it is unrepairable! :iagree:

Larry

pablogum

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hi all, I reviewed all posts re adjusting the hood latch assembly and easily adjusted the latch plate relative to the pin. However, I need to adjust pin longer, but cannot see how. There is a lock nut I see, but I cannot get to it.

So how do I lengthen the pin? Do I need to remove the pin assembly?

Thanks, Paul
BJ8

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hello Paul,

Yes, you need to remove the baseplate first. The striker pin is bolted to that. Once removed you'll see a slot in the top of the striker pin for adjustment with a flathead screwdriver. Loosen the nut, adjust the pin length, tighten the nut. Reassemble the base plate and see if you have the correct length.

Three adjustments can be made at the striker pin location.
1. the striker pin length
2. the base plate position
3. the hood latch support bracket.

Good luck.
IMG_5625.JPG
2AA24B86-749A-4A29-99BA-A3B1AC5521FB.jpeg
C6406F18-D5D7-4F76-8C4B-A79ECDA2E2EE.jpeg