• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How should I clean my diff now that it is out.....

TR6BILL

Luke Skywalker
Pretty gunky. Even though it is a fresh rebuild, it has lot of oily crud on it. Can I hurt the seals if I spray it with a harsh cleaner and scrub it?

BobbyD

Jedi Knight
Bill,
When I got my Nissan diff it was filthy but no leaks except from being upside down during shipping. I hit it with my power washer and degreaser and that got the major gunk of. Then I hit it with my angle grinder using some wire brushes and a flap wheel and that got all the scales and rust off. Once it was pretty clean, I painted it with POR-15. BTW....I did the same thing with my TR6 diff after it was off the car and it cleaned up pretty good too. The whole diff clean up story is here.

DiffDirty4S.jpg

DiffBumpGone.jpg

DiffPaintSide.jpg

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
It better end up either Red or Chromed............

71MKIV

Jedi Warrior
Pressure washer, the hotter the better.

Won't bother the seals.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
I use GreaseLightning on oily grime. It kind of melts or disolves grease. Let it sit and penetrate the grime, wash with a hose. If you have thick layers in corners, you'll need a bristle brush and hit it again.
But, I wouldn't hesitate to break out the pressure washer, like Steve said, either

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
I used a scrub brush and Purple cleaner

Thanx John deere!

DSC00951.jpg

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Yeh Bill I have had some bad experience with some of those cleaners. Some will eat aluminum and others will destroy seals, be car full. It seems that there is some technical design difference between solvents and detergents, but I do not know what it is. A couple of the guys I respect will wash the parts of with warm/hot soapy water when they are done. In addition, the time the things are exposed to the chemicals makes a big difference. I once took some rocker pedestals from a tr3 and dropped them in a can of some stuff I got at the parts store. It was some new degreaser in a purple plastic gallon jug, and the next morning, they were white little furry things. I like a product called Moss solvent; I find it benign. I also find a die-grinder with a wire wheel very helpful.

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Power washer, Marine Clean water-based cleaner, (POR 15 Product), sprayed on and power-washed off -- shiny.

Trick6

Jedi Hopeful
My R200 Nissan diff was prepared as BobbyD's.

So clean it the way you prefer. But you should change the input seal anyway. It is an easy thing to do and once done you will know that you don't have that to do for a long time if ever. POR 15 is the best.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J what should I use to clean 30yr old vinyl? Triumph 6
mctriumph TR2/3/3A Safety mods every Tr3 should get Triumph 12
K TR2/3/3A RE: Pulling the choke knob all the way out....the carb jets should be down how far? Triumph 5
AUSMHLY 2nd gear should I file it? Do gears have a hard coating? Austin Healey 7
S TR6 Should I Buy This "73 Triumph TR6" Triumph 3
T TR2/3/3A Should there be a body ground strap to battery on TR3 Triumph 7
BN6_2197 How regular should I change the gearbox oil? Austin Healey 5
AngliaGT Why You Should Double - Check Your Parts When You Receive them. Spridgets 2
Got_All_4 TR6 Should I paint the inside of the block? Triumph 17
S Well, this should be interesting..... Other Cars 9
KVH TR4/4A Should I Cut the Lower Windshield Gasket Triumph 2
C MGB Should I lubricate the cog gears MG 2
55modified Should I remove driver's side fender to work on footbox on my BN1? Austin Healey 14
George Zeck What fuel gauge SHOULD I have? Spridgets 3
B How often should you change the rear rear axle oil Austin Healey 9
B TR6 Should the poly diff mounts be snug to the studs? Triumph 2
Sopwith_Camel 95 xj r cheap should i run away screaming? Jaguar 2
abarth69 Should I remove this section Spridgets 8
L Should I do it?? [electrical conversion] Austin Healey 24
B TR2/3/3A what adjustment should i select with Koni shocks onTR3? Triumph 4
T TR4/4A Should I use ARP Assembly Lubricant for Engine Assembly and Fastener Installation? Triumph 2
F Exhaust gas analyser - what carbon monoxide level should I expect from my BT7? Austin Healey 7
K TR2/3/3A How long should an SU damper top up last? Triumph 22
M TR2/3/3A What oils, lubes etc should I have at my house at all times? Triumph 39
Got_All_4 TR2/3/3A What color should these parts be? Triumph 4
Joe Reed MGB Wiring problem....this should be fun :[ MG 4
stretchit2 Portable Hardtop Rack - Should it stay or should it go Austin Healey 28
M TR6 Should I buy a TR6? Triumph 24
Keoke Everone should own one Austin Healey 14
W TR2/3/3A '56 TR3 St 15000+ should have disc brakes... Right? Triumph 33
K TR2/3/3A How much oil should the steering box have in it? Triumph 6
Wirewheels General Tech Do we really care what our LBC's speedometer reads? Should we? MG 7
S TR6 Worth Saving??? What do you think we should do? Triumph 30
GTP1960 TR2/3/3A Should you paint your leaf springs? Triumph 5
2billydavies TR2/3/3A what bolts should i use to mount engine on an engine stand? Triumph 13
V General TR should or shouldn't? Triumph 19
R TR4/4A Replacing Door and Window Handles _ Should Be Simple - But Its Not Triumph 4
R TR4/4A About to put in an OD Transmission. What else should I do while in the air Triumph 7
T TR2/3/3A Should I put flat washers on sump bolts? Triumph 3
E How much should i pay for a complete 100/4 engine ? Austin Healey 4
luke44 General TR Every TR Owner should really appreciate this picture. Any guesses? Triumph 7
M TR4/4A Where should TR4A carpet snaps be placed? Triumph 10
J TR4/4A 1965 TR4 in pieces, What should we do with it? Triumph 9
Got_All_4 TR2/3/3A What color should this part be? Triumph 5
JPSmit Bring a Trailer should be banned Other British Cars 3
M How well should the water pump free spin? Spridgets 4
C What should the VIN plate look like for a BN1? Austin Healey 1
N Spitfire Should this be bent? Triumph 4
PatGalvin TR2/3/3A what color should it be...? Triumph 7
C Inner Sill Assembly Should i spend extra money on kilmartin brand??? Austin Healey 4