• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How often do 'You' regrease the front bearings

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I had a thread on bearings (great assistance thanks) going but was wondering how often folks repacked the front hub bearings and why.
I suspect the 'inner bearings' don't get as much attention as they should considering the work needed to get to them??

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi,

I simply clean out all the old grease and repack whenever I have the front brake rotors off for servicing. So long as the seals are good, any decent quality grease stays clean inside. If the car were stored for many years, I'd clean and repack even if the brakes weren't being overhauled (but they probably would be, too).

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I MIG welded a 10-32 UNF nut into the inside of the domed bearing cap (hub-cap) and I can ☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼ the bearing cap very easily (straight off) using a rather long 10-32 screw. I always put an excess of wheel bearing grease in the cavity inside the rotor casting between the inner and outer bearings just in case I need to re-grease the bearings while I'm on the road. This is how I carry the spare grease I might need. The last time I had to do this was about 1962 on my way to the Canadian Grand Prix which was at Mosport. I thought it was the birds chirping as the sun was coming up at 4 AM while driving along the 401. But it was the left side front wheel bearing. In about 20 minutes I had re-distributed some of this excess grease and was on my way again. I changed the bearings years later.

D

DougF

For all the more these cars get driven, do as described previously. What is most important on a TR3 is to get grease into the trunnion/lower wishbone joint. The journals are quite small and hold very little grease.
Should these joints seize, the results could be catastrophic.
When I bought my car years ago, I thought I got grease into the entire front end, but due to poor maintenance prior to my purchase, I didn't get it into these journals. Result? A three wheel adventure in the medial strip of our local interstate at 65 mph and a couple months of body work and rebuilding.
The service manual recommends lube intervals of 1000 miles.

OP
prb51

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Good info gents. I suspected as much but wanted the combined experience of the group. Good idea on the 'spare grease' location and the nut placement. The PO was a very good mechanic and did things right on the car but has since passed away so I think I'll replace the bearings for GP and know for sure.
Doug, I agree on the trunnions and I've found the only way to really grease well is to lift the front end removing the load from the 'joints'. I'm guessing the lower trunion snapped from heat fatique? I have a complete front end rebuild kit that I'll be getting around to when I get home.