• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How many guys to pull a Bugeye bonnet

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I made space in the garage yesterday for storing the bonnet while I'm working on everything else. Two questions on pulling a bonnet:

1. How many folks should I have handy to do this? Don't want to break anything or anyone.

2. What's the best way to store one? I'm planning on standing it on end against the wall, and probably running a strap around it anchored to the wall to keep it from falling over.

Might get this car running yet... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Country flag
Two people minimum for a fully dressed bonnet. It the headlight buckets are gone, then just one is needed.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Or you can do as I did and rig up a pulley system to the ceiling so I can manage by myself. Ran a rope to each fender mirror and I can get on and off by myself. Now once painted I'll enlist the aid of another person to get back on so paint doesn't get scratched but that paotion / rope attachment provides a pretty good balance point so I can remove, renstall on the front hinge brackets, pick up, move around, and even set on end as needed.

I had the advantage of having some sailing hardware in the garage and with a couple of pulleys and a jam cleat it was easy to rig up. Otherwise fitting this bonnet fpr the front hinge would have been a total PITA. I can send pics if ypu want.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I've used an engine hoist to pull the bonnet off a midget, but wasn't sure where I could safely attach a rope on the Bugeye bonnet -- no fender mirrors on mine.

PeterC

Jedi Warrior
drooartz said:
I made space in the garage yesterday for storing the bonnet while I'm working on everything else. Two questions on pulling a bonnet:

Be sure to scribe marks around the hinges first. Makes realignment a lot easier. I even made some headless screws to align things.

Peter C

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Three folks is ideal. One on each side and you under takeing off the bolts.

I can be stored up right on a pad just fine.

tosoutherncars

Jedi Knight
jlaird said:
Three folks is ideal. One on each side and you under takeing off the bolts.

Four is even better... One on each side, one taking off the bolts... and you supervising, beer in hand! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

mccalebr

Jedi Knight
An inexpensive chain hoist works great and can do double duty. Use it now for the bonnet (along with a couple ratched type tie downs to support the bonnet) and later if you need to pull an engine or rear axle. If the ceiling is high enough you can leave the bonnet swinging up out of the way.

Ray

P1010006.jpg

TexasSprite

Jedi Hopeful
I hung mine from the ceiling as well. My BE has a forward tilt hood, so it was an easy one man job to take the weight on to the tackle, disconnect the hinge pin and let it hang free. It will also be easy to attach when the car is running. I know having a front tilt bonnet is not original, but access to the engine compartment is way better with it set up like this.

Here is a picture of the rope and pulley arrangement I use to suspend my BE bonnet:

Attachments

• 9962.jpg
    9962.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 83

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Depends on their nationality?

bugimike

Yoda
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

Bugeye_Al

Country flag
OK - Not to hijack a thread, but I have the opposite question.
How is the best way to put a bugeye bonnet back on? Mine was already off when I got it so I don't have the experience in taking it off or on. Plus I will have to deal with alignment issues, etc. And I'm getting close to being ready to do this. (Yay!)

Would it be better to put the hinges on the bonnet and then slide the hinges in with bonnet attached and put pins in?

Or - have hinges on body with pins in and have some sturdy guys holding the bonnet (again how many guys and nationality?)with me underneath trying to put in the bolts?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You and two neighbours can do this. Hinges on car first. They hold the bonnet, you put a 2x4 under the front to keep it off your back then one bolt each side and the supports.

You can make further adjustments on your own.

Country flag
And a heavy blanket to protect the paint on the cowl. (Or whatever you call that part on a British Car)

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Or tie the nose up to the joist over head

healeyboz

Jedi Knight
With flipping the bonnet to open the other direction I just hooked straps up to the two cross members in the corners, adjusted for the height and unbolted. Reversing the process is just as easy. I had a buddy on hand to make sure it did not swing and scratch the brand new paint job.

healeyboz

Jedi Knight
That being said:
I would put a blanket or padding between the bonnet and the firewall for a bit of cushion. Have two budding grab ahold of either side while you unbolt it. Reverse for installation. I do like Jim's pulley rig though. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif