• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Horrible Freight MIG Welder???

Patton

Jedi Warrior
I want to learn to weld and I want a welder. I don't have much money to get into this. Harbor Freight has just put one of their MIG welders on sale for $174.99. That is in my range! I also know that their stuff can be junk.

Here is the info...

87 AMP, 115 VOLT FLUX AND MIG WELDER
For mild steel, stainless steel, and aluminum. Weld with gas or perform flux cored gasless operations.

* Welding current range: 25 to 87 amps
* Input: single phase 115 volts, 60 Hz
* Open voltage: 19 to 30
* Duty cycle: 20% @ 75 amps, 45% @ 50 amps
* Draws 21 amps @ 120 volts
* Weldable wires: 0.023'' to 0.035'' steel and stainless steel, 0.030'' to 0.035'' aluminum, 0.030'' flux-cored

Includes: 2 lb. spool of flux cored wire, handheld face shield, brush hammer, fuse power line; Weight: 55.8 lbs.

I know that a certain percent of people on this forum will say about always buying the best, but this is about the best I can afford, is this "pile of junk" worth the risk?

Patton

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I have this welder....I bought it a few years ago on a whim and haven't really used it that much.
We have a "better quality" Lincoln portable MIG welder at work and I use that once in a while. It's about the same size as the HF unit and cost about twice as much (not including the gas bottle attachment that we added later on).
I'm not really that keen on either of these little 110V AC MIG units for welding regular steel. And I'm not keen on the gasless wire (flux core). Doesn't work that well and the fumes are hugely toxic. I've used the Lincoln to weld aluminum and again, I'd say it's OK but not great....keeping the aluminum wire feeding smoothly is a challenge, even with the teflon insert.
A buddy of mine has a large MIG welder that I much prefer (but it probably runs close to $2000 new).
I have an old 220V AC stick welder that I use quite often. For angle iron, fixing trailers and so forth, it works great.
For thinner steel, I use a small set of oxy-acetylene tanks that I bought from HF. I like oxy-acetylene welding and can do a decent job even using unpainted steel coat hangers as a filler rod. The tanks don't last real long but they are very portable so I accept the compromise of size (and I have access to a full size set of tanks at work for bigger jobs). With the tanks, it's also possible to braze, cut, solder and even mend cracked aluminum (using a zinc rod).
For lighter stuff, I'd buy the tanks (maybe bigger than my mini-size, though).
For heavier stuff, I'd buy a 220V AC stick welder. Sometimes you see decent used ones on e-Bay.

screenprinter

Jedi Trainee
I agree with most of what aeronca65t said - But it depends on how deeply involved you're planning to get - If you're just going to do the odd repair on sheet metal, a little bodywork, etc. or light duty work around the house the little mig setup should be sufficient - Like the man said - Stay away from fluxed wire - a real bummer - spend a little extra and get the shielding gas bottle - this will help you immensely. You can always upgrade at a later time should you fall in love with the process and figure you need more, bigger, better, etc.

If on the otherhand you're going into it with a vengeance I would buy the best you can afford - you get what you pay for...

Just a note - we have a Harbor freight nearby and I've gotten some pretty good deals from them - In particular an Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet for around 60 bucks - for a novice welder this is a great thing, not having to line up your gun and then flip your helmet down, which invariably moves your gun off target.

Whatever you decide, good luck and have fun!

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Stay away from cheap welders. Get a brand name.

Bruce

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gifIf I were you, turn around and run away screaming. The Harbor Fright welders are terrible! You'd get as good of results if you hooked a pair of jumpercables to a battery and arc'd it with a coathanger. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Not that I hate HF, I'd considered their welder at onetime too, but they are crap! I have used a few of the smaller 110 welder and have had pretty decent results, before buying a 220. One was a little Lincoln. It suprised me with how well it worked compared to a Craftman one I had also borrowed. I finally went with a Hobart 180. I think it cost me around $820 out the door. It's probably more welder than you need though, and alot more money as well. I'd look into Hobart welders. They are made by the same company who makes Miller. The biggest difference I found between the Millers and Hobarts are the voltage controls, the Millers being infinate. Things to look for; voltage control adjustability, can you run gas with it, how many amps, and what are going to be using it for. On cheap welders like the "Chicago Electric", they may give you one or two "heat settings". Well that's fine if you are welding the same exact thing over and over. The more adjustability you have the better. My welder has like 5 settings, and with wire speed adjustments it can be tweeked to to weld from sheat metal to 1/4" plate. Of course the ideal would be to have infinate voltage adjustment, which is what the $$$ welders have. Having the ability to run gas with the welder is a must. The flux core wire splatters like a mutha! Gas is sooo much nicer. The flux core wire was designed to be used outside in windy conditions where the sheilding gas would be blown away. In your garage, you don't need it. Duty cycle is another concern. It refers to how long you can continously arc. Here again, the higher # is better. If I were you, shop around abit. Anything from Miller, Hobart, or Lincoln should suit you fin. I'm not sure who makes the Sears one, but they work allright too. Another thing I'd recomd is talking to you local welding shop. Mine was pretty helpful. I paid a couple of dollars more(literally) than on line(get an idea how much they are), but now I have someone to help me out if it breaks or gives me trouble. Sorry about the rant, 'just went through all this myself! Spend the extra $100 os so and pick up something decent. So screenprinter , you like the HF auto darkening helmets? They are on sale right now for $39. Might hafta pick one up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Mark Jones

Jedi Warrior
Check at Home Depot. They carry Lincoln welders I believe. I have a Hobart 130 (I think that is the right #) 120V machine and really like it; that and my auto-darkening helmet.

RobSelina

Jedi Warrior
they're junk. I had one and I thought I was just inept at welding until I finally caved and got myself a milermatic 175. Then I realized I wasn't the problem.

At the very least, get the entry level lincoln 110V unit with the shielding gas attachment. Flux core units work, but you really want an Argon/CO2 shielding gas to do anything 'pretty'. Flux is hard to use on thin metal too. If you get anything less than this it'll be a paperweight that won't get used. Ultimately, a lincoln/miller/etc 220V mig is the way to go, but a lincoln 110V gas unit will get you a long way...