• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Horn Button Assembly Needed

M

Mike_Bouse

1969 Spitfire. I need the whole assembly that fits into the steering wheel.

Previous owner must have had some anger management issues, because what i found in the parts box looks like he pounded on the thing until it was in bits.....then felt sorry, and scooped up the remainder and put them in a zip lock baggie. it is not possible to salvage what remains.

i have the spring loaded brush assembly and the three prong metal bracket.

Can anyone help?

OP
D

DougF

They are available at all the usual suppliers. For a used one, try calling Scott Harper at Team Triumph in Warren, OH.
(330)392-7176

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Lucas part number is 150277. It's gotten to be a pricey little part new at around $40.00. But I've got several originals on cars 40+ years old (sorry, but they're not for sale), so chances are you won't buy another any time soon. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

OP
T

Tinster

Ive had a TR6 one on back order at TRF for over
a year now.

d

OP
M

Mike_Bouse

yup, i already found spitbits to have one in stock, and shipped it is near $40

thanks for the tip on the used parts supplier. always good to have them in your arsenal.

and yup, looks like it was a fairly sturdy assembly before someone lost control. might have lasted as long as any other part, were it not for a well aimed hammer blow.

OP
M

Mike_Bouse

Peter,

check your PM. I am uncertain of the Moss p/n.

but your pic looks good, and the price is esssellent.

OP
M

Mike_Bouse

Peter,

Arrived last night! Thanks again. Will letcha know when i have a successful toot from the yet to be installed horns.

OP
M

Mike_Bouse

Well, eventually last night i experienced "success". Started at the nose of the car first. Added a horn, went to the horn relay and figured out which wire to use in the nose, and hooked up the horn.

Great! Got power from the fuse panel to the horn relay, ready for use by the horn.

put the horn push in, and no dice. pulled the wheel to discover that the horn push contact ring was pretty badly beaten about, but still serviceable; but saw that a wire was broken inside the column. Yup, it was the contact ring's wire...which explains why i could not find a wire for the horn at the base of the steering column.

disconnected the battery.

Removed the contact ring and soldered on a new wire, chased that wire all the way to the horn relay. put the contact ring and the steering wheel back on, and the horn push.

reconnect battery to the sound of blaring horn and lights on the dash. what the heck? disconnect battery.

previous previous owner had beat the original horn push to a pulp and removed the horns. i now understand why. the steering wheel and the mating surface of the steering column are worn so bad (someone had overtightened the wheel onto the column to the point that the soft metal had worn down) that the steering wheel was now shorting out the horn contact ring....causing constant contact to ground.

i removed the wheel, and ground some of the center stalk off, and created a rubber gasket to protect the horn contact ring from the wheel. reinstall wheel and horn push. reconnect battery.

i now have controlled horn....but i need to remove a wire (brown or tan) from the horn relay in order to keep the oil and brake lights on the dash from lighting when i push the horn push.

What gives here?