• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Home Made Leakdown tester

Morris

Yoda
Check out my ugly but functional leakdown tester. Total cost: roughly $30.00.

According to my tests, I have a bad intake valve on #1 and bad rings on #s 1, 2 and 4.

Number #3 was strong. A drop of only 2-3 pounds. The rest dropped 20-30 pounds. Would being off true TDC cause these results?

Attachments

• 3694-cwick-car-3.jpg
    3694-cwick-car-3.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 3695-cwick-car-2.jpg
    3695-cwick-car-2.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 41

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
For the mentaly impared how about a few details on that rig?

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'm at a loss too (my fault) as all I see is an air hose with a spark plug welded on, and a pressure gauge. Of course, I haven't the faintest idea of how a leak down test works. Always nice to start off the year feeling a bit lost. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
He must have a Y or a T on that gage.

OP
Morris

Morris

Yoda
That's the article I based my rig on. The air compressor I used already had a pressure reg and line gauge, so I was able to eliminate those parts (though they had them at Lowe's for @ $13). I did not go the grease hose route because it would have necessitated buying a pipe thread tap. And also, welding is a lot more fun than tapping thread.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks for that link, Jeff. I think I understand now...

Bugeye58

Yoda
Glad it helped, Drew. it's a simple concept, and much more precise than a simple compression test.
I'll get the hub puller in the mail tomorrow, by the way.
Jeff

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Can you do such a test on an engine that's been pulled and is missing carbs/exhaust? Might be nice to test the 1275 I've got sitting on my floor if it was possible.

Thanks again for sending out the puller.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Sure you can test an engine like that. It's actually a bit easier to do with the carbs and exhaust off. It makes it easier to listen at the ports. Also easier to rotate the engine with the crank nut accessible.
As always, make sure the piston for whichever cylinder you are testing is at TDC on a compression stroke. If it's a little off, the air pressure may force it back down in the cylinder. I usually leave the breaker bar on the crank bolt, or otherwise lock the crank to prevent that from happening.
Jeff

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Bugeye58 said:
Glad it helped, Drew. it's a simple concept, and much more precise than a simple compression test.
Jeff
Hi Jeff,
Good stuff. As you likely know, recip aircraft engines are rigorously tested in this manner. For aircraft engines, there are prescribed calibrated restrictor orifices to match the cylinder displacement. This gives an actual calibrated leakage reading that can be compared to the particular engine specs. The .040" diameter restrictor mentioned is a pretty good compromise for most engines. Sometimes, more elaborate testers use two pressure gages, but the single gage is usually more than adequate.

For folks who don't wish to be confused by a reverse reading pressure gage, or go to the trouble to make a new reversed dial face, the Moroso gage can be had for a bit more money.
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecId=844

You are correct, the sparkplug end of a higher end (screw in type) compression tester works very well. It has a quick disconnect & numerous plug adapters. With the quick disconnect, it's very easy to set the pressure regulator to exactly full scale on the gage & then connect to the cylinder adapter hose.

I also agree, problems further down the cylinder can be checked, but as you say, once the piston is off TDC, the crankshaft must be securely held in position against air pressure.

I have also found the part about a speck of carbon under a valve causing leakage more than once.

Good thread, all of it. It gives far more information about engine condition & the location of problems which can not be done with the engine disassembled.
D

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Nice Improv Tool. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Here's what I have, it cost 89.95, probably about 10 years ago, if it blew apart today, I got my money's worth.

Attachments

• 3731-IM001972-2.JPG
    3731-IM001972-2.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 44

JerryB

Jedi Warrior
""""", it cost 89.95, probably about 10 years ago"""

What happend...blew apart....did a gage blow?

Matco stuff of the truck is a lot pricier now.

Tavia (tavia.com) makes a very nice dual gage piece. They have moved to Florida about 4 years ago as Tom got tired of sunny So Cal.

He also makes a really nice bolt stretch gage that is priced rite and reads to .0001"

They have an engine builder deal.....

Bugeye58

Yoda
Jerry, I can't remember if my leakdown tester is a Tavia or a Longacre, but it's essentially the same as Haps. I think around 85 bucks, or so, about the same time frame as Hap.
I've also got a Tavia bolt stretch gauge, and a valve spring rate tester that have served me well.
Jeff