• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Holey gas tank

classiccarguy

Freshman Member
The more I get into my 54 TF the more I find. Naturally. I looked down into the gas tank through the fill hole only to see daylight in the corner. Took off the tank and found that the left corner and side each has large holes and the bottom has small holes and the right bottom is rusted through. I took it to awelding shop, but they think the seams and mounting braket are soldered on and they think the tank might leak elsewhere if they weld on it. A new tank is about $1,100. from Moss and that is out of possibility oweing to other items needing repairs. Anybody ever repaired a tank with the bottom in this bad a shape. I thught of Fiberglassing, but they say Ethanol will eat it up. I can buy Ethanol free gas (at a premium price) here in town or use boat gas additive to keep Ethanol from melting the fiberglass. Anyway, your thoughts would be greatly appreciated, as I am a novice with the T series MG. Thanks, Classiccarguy.

Country flag
George
I would still try to patch. There is some epoxy out there now that is pretty strong. Also meant to tell you, contact this guy there in Shalmar. I met him at Road Atlanta this spring, he may can help you out.

Bert Everhart - (Destin Car Club) 850 218 4465

Marv

D

Deleted member 8987

I had a friend years ago, retired AF LTCol, who took an old tank in his 1951 Ford Fordor that was rustedtohell, and fibreglassed it. I found him a good one later, gave it to him, but he never put it in as the patched one worked.
No idea....just passing it along.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
It strikes me that this is a job you might want to farm out. A quick google shows a number of companies that do this. Here is one, on the left coast I know but... Bike shops might be a lead also

https://www.leakersgastanks.com/

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I'd fit a racing style fuel cell. Added safety, much cheaper and lots of sizes available.

Check Here

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Nial, He's talking about a 54-TF! No place to hide a fuel cell that I know of, on a street version anyway. T series tanks can be coated inside with a very hard product. Mine was done before I got it, so who done it and the name of the product isn't available. The coating in my tank is a light Grey in color and as hard as glass.
Ethanol will eat fiberglass! Ask any long time boater with an inboard fiberglass tank. Stabil developed a Marine version gas additive to counteract the damaging effects of Ethanol on old rubber and fiberglass. Not cheap, but it seems to work. PJ

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
As noted by Smit, there are repair outfits. Their process apparently works, though I have no direct experience. I recall several of them listed in Hemmings. I don't know the exact geometric shape of your tank, buy a competent weld shop should be able to build a close replica.
Bob

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Abington spares has new tanks for TCs, TDs and TFs! $950.00 PJ